Cordless Dril/ Impact Driver Combo

Although to be fair, the rechargable LED site lights are now pretty good. I only have a small (10W) one and I have hardly had the lead lights out since I got that.

Reply to
newshound

I was in my local Screwfix today and prominently displayed was this DeWalt offer: an 18V combi drill and an impact driver for a tidge under £170.

In view of my earlier thoughts about heft over finesse, it's notable that virtually the first thing the presenter of the illustrative video says about the impact driver is that it's "very powerful".

Reply to
Bert Coules

Keep in mind, that if you find a case where the ID is too powerful / unrefined, then you still have the drill. In reality I find I can drive most screws with my 18V ID without problems. (although I quite often opt for the 10.8V one for light work)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, John. It's a question of balancing the (possibly very) occasional need for the power of an impact driver against the convenience of having two drill/drivers and not having to swap between screwdriver and drill bits on jobs which require lots of pilot holes. And on jobs which don't, a second battery for whichever tool is in use would be a very handy thing.

On the whole, I think I, with others' help of course, have talked myself out of the need for an impact driver.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Get a couple of these Bosch greens - only £10 each.

GB

Ah, but will the realistic function be realistic enough?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Will they work with these?

dennis

What I find so impressive about my humble 14.4 volt NiCad Makita impact driver is the way that it will undo Pozi screws even with a bit of misalignment, something which you normally have to avoid as far as possible when driving.

I was also interested to read in another post how such tools can easily undo things like the pulley nut on a Belle Cement mixer, which is why I bought a 1/4, 3/8. and 1/2 inch square adaptor set. Not that I have had a reason to try them yet.

Reply to
newshound

Great analogy. +1

Reply to
newshound

And they tend to be more "sensitive" than a normal combi drill. At least that is the case for my Makita 14.4V impact driver and 18V combi drill.

Reply to
newshound

I don't use my ID much, but it's bloody good for removing stuck/damaged screws. Using st. st. Turbo Ultra, 6x100, in to a pilot hole in softwood, the cheap Parkside 14.4V combi would occasionally leave me with a screwless head if there was a buried knot - I don't know what an IP would have done!

Reply to
PeterC

I would not fixate on "power" too much. Think more in terms of speed and ease of use.

Not sure I follow the logic... If you have a screwdriver in one and a drill bit in the other, that is not a combination that one being an ID prevents. (and if you really want two drill bits on the go at a time, you can get drills with hex shanks as well (with built in countersink / plug cutters as well if you like)

One more bat than you have tools is probably the best option, that way you can be using and charging at the same time.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think maybe I am, to use your apt phrase, fixating on power too much.

Chatting to my neighbour today about such things, he recommended Ryobi cordless tools which he uses for DIY and occasionally professionally. A search back through messages here has turned up very little comment on the make but the specs look decent and the prices pretty reasonable, with, I understand, fairly frequent offers at B&Q and Bunnings. Whatever I decide to get, I suspect I could do worse than those.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I've been using Ryobi +One system for many years. The new NiMh batteries seem good. There's even a 12v charger in the range if you want to recharge away from mains.

Reply to
charles

Another factor I don't think has been mentioned: one drill/driver looks and sounds much like another. In contrast people will notice you have a new tool when your impact driver starts giving it some welly ;)

Reply to
Robin

That is actually quite a serious consideration for me, and one which I hadn't given much thought, so thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks for that: a positive recommendation is always good to see.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yup, IDs are louder than a drill driver... (there are some new (and 'kin expensive) hydraulic ones that claim to be quieter thouge)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have not tried the Ryobi electric tools (and don't plan to!)... but my judgement of the brand may be somewhat jaundiced though by very poor experiences with their petrol garden tools. Others have reported they are ok.

ISTR they are one of the brands now owned by TTI (after passing through several hands over the years), and they occupy their middle range of tool brands. (with more serious brands like AEG and Milwaukee at the high end).

Reply to
John Rumm

I have dewalt gear (for no really good reason) and others have Makita. I have a Hitachi SDS dril, and a B&D drill bought about 40 years ago. They are all good. I think you are overthinking this a bit.

I'd advise an impact driver, rather than two drills, but your YMMV.

BTW, there's a respectable drill + impact driver kit from Wickes for £80. It's worth £80. Just not as good as a set costing 2 or 3 times as much.

Reply to
GB