Single circuit CU

The Economy 7 supply to our house goes through a small box with a built-in isolating switch and space for a single MCB[1]. Presumably if I can find a 20A RCBO of the same width and shape I can just substitute this for the MCB. But if such a thing does not exist, would it be OK to use a two pole RCBO mounted alone in a small box with no separate isolating switch? Space is not very ample.

[1] It is probably a bit dubious now as it serves a single 'radial' circuit which branches to two sockets (that I have found) and is wired in 2.5mm^2 cable bundled with other cables and supplied through a 32A MCB.
Reply to
Roger Hayter

Such things exist - however they are taller, so not all CUs will have space.

Yup that would be fine. Just blank the spare way, or leave the MCB in place and label it as "spare" or similar.

If the branch was at the CU that would actually be acceptable anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

It would have to be a new enclosure as the existing one has an integral, non-modular switch and only space for one MCB.

That's because of the limited current demand from one socket outlet? I haven't actually checked where they branch because we only use one socket anyway and the other one has duct tape to avoid confusion.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

ok, in which case all you can do is check the height of the available single module RCBOs, and if not swap the box.

Yup - you are in reality just talking about a spur - just one where its taken from origin. So the MCB will still provide fault protection for the single 2.5mm^2 T&E, and the limitation of a single socket will provide the overload protection. (overload protection does not *have* to be at the origin of the circuit (although often it is)).

In reality, (and depending a bit on the installation method for the cable) you would be hard pushed to do much damage with just a pair of sockets even if the branch was elsewhere.

Reply to
John Rumm

Since most of these off-peak installations had surface mounted cables anyway, so surely RCD protection is not needed ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The man wants RCD protection, otherwise he wouldn't be changing it.

A nice shower/shed consumer unit sounds about right if it fits.

Reply to
dennis

But socket outlets are now required to have RCD protection even if the cable is surface mounted. So the OP would have to install RCD sockets.

Reply to
ARW

A photo of the enclose would be nice. I might know of an RCBO that will fit after looking.

But your suggestion of a double pole RCBO in an enclosure is fine. If space is tight you may struggle

Reply to
ARW

It sounds as if the circuit is now supplying sockets and not just fixed heating equipment. So they would require RCD protection anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for the advice. I'll put it at the bottom of my list of jobs that need doing. I'm only thinking of interfering with it because it is the only non-RCD protected circuit in the house.

Reply to
Roger Hayter