Cooker hood - sticking push in switches. Lubricant?

I saw cheap aerosol cans of various lubricants in Lidl yesterday including silocone and PTFE.

I can't answer your question directly other to hazard a guess it would be worth using something to degrease the mechanism first before relubricating.

Reply to
Graham.

Our cooker hood has push in switches to control fan speed. These are reluctant to latch in (although the light switch seems fine).

What would be a suitable spray in lubricant to try and free them off?

WD40 is a freeing/waterproofing spray as far as I can recall. Also useful for getting water out of electrics.

GT85 has some lubricant in but is it safe to use inside electrical switches? I read that the lubricant is PTFE.

Alternatives?

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David

I might be tempted to try IPA. It doesn't leave a greasy residue that might affect the electrical function of the switches (unlike lubricants, for which that's the entire point), and it might soften any grease that has collected on the plungers.

Do the switches feel 'sticky', as if there's muck that's stopping them operating? Or do they move but fail to 'click'? If they won't click it suggests a problem with the latching mechanism, rather than in need of lubrication.

Is there a button or similar that you can remove to access the switch mechanism? Is it possible it's just the button that's sticking?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I'd go for a specific contact lubricant.

Reply to
Chris Green

Can you get inside? Clean it out of all gunk and re lubricate. I've seen this in a very el posho kitchen, and to be honest was not impressed by the quality of the switches. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff