Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol (motorbike etc)

Yes, I belive it does.

As you can with any auto as well (using only one pedal) or relying on an automatic handbrake?

Like most RC Car throttles (well, probably not with your foot). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sort of.

I can't remember 'learning' to use a twist grip throttle and the first one I used was probably the tiller extension on a British Seagull outboard motor when very young (maybe 8 or so). The std throttle was a thumb shift on the tiller but if you fitted the ally tube extension that had a wire hook on the end, it gave you 'remote' control of the thumb shift and so a twist grip throttle.

After that it would probably have been my own moped.

When braking a conventional motorcycle with handlebar mounted front brake lever, I think you are right and you might typically help unroll the throttle as you squeeze the lever between fingers on the lever and thumb round the and / or heel of your hand on the twist grip.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's more specific. Nikon is one way and Canon is the other (and both are Japanese companies). I have used both cameras and I honestly couldn't remember which is which, but looking at my Nikon now, I see that they use clockwise bayonet turn to unscrew, so Canon must use anti-clockwise bayonet. My dad's old Yashika used an anti-clockwise *screw thread* which was a real pain when trying to change lenses in a hurry and the threads were inclined to get crossed.

Reply to
NY

Having learned to drive on a car with at least two and preferably three pedals, I would find it very difficult to get used to a single-pedal car, where releasing the pedal completely applies the brakes. I have got too used to no pedals meaning the car coasts and I have to make a positive action to apply more than token air-resistance/bearing-friction levels of retardation: having to maintain *some* pedal pressure all the time to keep the car at a constant speed would be very tiring on the foot.

I defy most drivers to be able *reliably* to change gear without using that pedal that "doesn't appear to [do] much" ;-) Some cars are better than others for doing clutchless gearchanges: my 13-year old Peugeot is dead easy, and I think it always has been fairly easy even from about 20,000 miles when I got it. But my wife's 5-year-old Honda is a lot more fussy about getting the speed very accurately the same - it is less forgiving. I never try a clutchless change while she's in the car ;-)

That's another "getting used to it" thing: whether reverse is top-left (left of first) or bottom-right (right of sixth). I always have to think when I swap between my Pug (top-left) and her Honda (bottom-right). Also the fact that my car has always allowed me to engage reverse while the car is still moving very slowly forwards (although obviously you can't let the clutch up till the car has stopped), whereas Hondas and a lot of other Japanese cars won't let you engage reverse (even with the clutch down) until the car is stopped.

Reply to
NY

Yebbut was it down for up gear or up? My Honda was up for up gear (I think), with the "proper" neutral between 1st and 2nd (with an "idiot light" to show when you were in neutral).

Max Demian

My long dead battery lawnmower with speed control rotated clockwise to go faster but if it was let go of it just stopped, but then it never went all that fast in the first place and was always blowing up the speed control module. That is why its an ex lawnmower. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I suspect it is because on a motor bike you need to be able to operate the right hand brake lever. When you apply the brake with your fingers your thumb will rotate the throttle clockwise and close it, which is probably what you want. I must remember this the next time a use an outboard engine.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I used to have a push bike with a twist grip for the (3 speed) gear change. It was remarked that it appeared to be the opposite way to a motorbike; to go up a gear you rotated the top away from you.

Reply to
Max Demian

I started learning to drive, in a combination of my mum's car (Renault 6) and an instructor's car (Honda Civic), as soon as I turned 17. I passed my test (third attempt) shortly after my 18th birthday in 1981 (I failed the second (*) time on my 18th - and the examiner commiserated that he wasn't able to give me a pass certificate for my birthday!). But after that, apart from driving mum's or dad's cars occasionally when we went on journeys, I didn't drive much until my last year at university when I bought myself a car because my final-year hall of residence was not on a bus route and was a long way from the site where I was based. Until then, I walked between hall and university, apart from occasional rainy days when I got the bus. I think the majority of people walked or cycled: a few had hand-me-down cars and a smaller number had motorbikes (yes, surprising that there were fewer with motorbikes than cars). But I think I could walk up the very non-PC Blackboy Hill quicker than my mate's Honda 50 moped could manage it ;-)

(*) I don't really count the first failure because I drew the short straw and got "Mr Hemlock" who very rarely passed anyone. My instructor said almost none of his pupils passed with Mr H, whereas roughly the same proportion passed with all the other examiners. The only person I know who passed was my next door neighbour who was in her 70s when she had to learn (or re-learn) to drive after her husband became too ill to drive. Mr H said "I am very sorry to have to tell you that I cannot find sufficient grounds to fail you, so I obliged against my better judgement to pass you." Apparently he was moved every few years from one test centre to another in the Home Counties because he kept failing far more than the normal quota and was obnoxious to "the public". I imagine if he kept that up, he would have been disciplined at an "examiner's examination". On my test he gave me an ambiguous instruction which I asked him to clarify "do you mean turn left into X street or Y street" and he accused me of showing off my local knowledge of street names, and on another occasion when I asked him whether he would want me to turn left or go straight on at a junction some distance ahead, so I could get into the correct lane in plenty of time, he blew his top. When he did eventually tell me, I had to indicate far too late and got hooted at for pushing in, so I explained *that* was why I'd asked several hundred yards further back. So that wasn't a realistic fair test.

Reply to
NY

Do let us know when you find one. As far as I?m aware they don?t exist.

Why would you bother other than as a ?party trick?? It?s not good for your synchromesh.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

But it still pulls the cable in the same direction. It?s just that a Sturmey Archer gear and most road bike derailleurs change to a lower gear as the cable tightens. MTB changers tend to work in the opposite fashion though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Slight 'moments' when swapping between the two - not as bad as changing between freewheel and fixed wheel!

Reply to
PeterC

Also, open the grip, roll the throttle shut and that gives plenty of hand to grip the brake lever. Rolling back moves the fingers away from the lever then moving the hand foward for the brake could open the throttle with the 'wrong' way. - not good.

Reply to
PeterC

Its not bad for it either if you know how to match speeds

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you get it exactly right, I grant you it?s harmless but you?re asking your synchromesh to do a job it wasn?t designed for. Do you always get it

*exactly* right?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I remember having to take the test again, in the 60s, having upgraded from my dad's old NSU Quickly (there's an oxymoron) which was a moped, back when that designation meant it had pedals, to a Honda 50, which was not in that category. Pretty daft really, since it then meant that I could (and still can) legally drive any bike; not that I would dare. Two wheels were for me simply an economic necessity at the time, not a lifestyle choice.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That might be a 'right-brainer' thing?

I can't quite understand your technique of making a statement and adding a question mark at the end? Is that a right-brainer ting as well?

Reply to
Spike

I had a 3 speed and it was faster than many mopeds at the time but it certainly wasn't 'fast' (not compared with a tuned 'Fizzy' anyway). ;-)

'... as an alternative means of propulsion and had to be less than

50cc'? I think the rule that it 'not be able to do more than 30 mph' came in quite a bit later.

If it was the 'Honda 50' (Cub), the stepthough motorcycle then no, it wasn't a moped, unlike the my 'Honda P50' with the engine in the back wheel, that was.

Same here. Mrs had to do her CBT and took one test (+ theory?) and could ride anything after 2 years on max 25hp or something? However, she chose to do her apprenticeship starting with a KH100 then CG125 (then she got why 4/s were 'better' than 2/'s), 2 x XV535 and then her XV750 (and towing optional camping trailer). ;-)

Daughter had to do CBT, Part 1 and 2 (and theory) was also restricted for 2 years to a lower hp bike and could then ride anything (currently a 600cc Suzuki Bandit). Because of her age I don't think there was any point her doing the 'Direct access' (to the bigger bikes) at the time as she was below the age for bigger bikes in any case (so just waited out the two years on a MZ 250). ;-)

They have never been a lifestyle choice for me either but a transport option / choice. They also provide some alternative entertainment. Like, I rarely 'just go for a drive' in the car, but will 'just go for a ride' on a bike, when the weather / circumstances suit. We will also turn up at the biker hut in the car, if the weather isn't too good. ;-)

Initially it was the interest of getting powered transport (I bought the Honda P50 off my English teacher at Secondary school (for £5) with a stripped plug thread) repaired it then rode it from my 16th birthday till being given and collecting the NSU Quicky as a wheelbarrow full of parts, put it together, got that road legal and carried on on that ... because it was Quicker than the P50. ;-)

I've currently only got my CB250 (Nighthawk) on the road but the BMW R80 could be if I fancied but I'd say I get just as good a kick pootling round the twisties on the CB250 as I have on anything (even though it's a bit small on me). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

On the Enfield, I think it was up for up gear (down into 1st etc, neutral between 1st and 2nd), just on the wrong side.

Sweet, looks fairly similar to my CB 'Two fifty' (especial that twin cylinder engine and twin exhaust).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So the reference to the Nissan Leaf was incorrect? And I've seen other references in this and other newsgroups about some electric cars having a brake (typically regenerative) built into the accelerator pedal, such that when the pedal is completely released, the car doesn't coast but instead is slowed down by regenerative braking. I don't have any experience of this: I'm just quoting other people's descriptions of it.

Agreed. It is mainly a "party trick". I was commenting on someone's description of the clutch as a pedal that "doesn't appear to [do] much" by saying that, apart from the skill of doing clutchless gearchanges, it *is* rather important and definitely does do something.

Reply to
NY