Content

In the early days of uk.d-i-y the group was a well respected source of knowledge relating to diy jobs and how to do things. Slowly and seemingly inexorably it is/has changing into a haven for posting political ranting. Matthew Marks would be horrified to see what his beloved group has become.

Reply to
Cynic

Of course if you want to make it policed you need to find a group of people willing to do that task and then make it moderated. To be honest if you do not want to read the poly ticks then that is why there are subject lines and an ability to killfile people. This group is good compared to many I see. The thing we have to guard against is spamming. So often we find loads of people advertising dodgy sexual services and adult chatlines and scammers with fake money and all the rest getting into groups. Here these sort of posts are minimal. Those are notoriously hard to killfile since they tend to be using fake addresses and ever changing text. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well thats cos no one does D-I-Y anymore and everyone has an opinion fostered by te Meeja that they think they got all by themselves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

2 threads out of 10 on my screen now are 'political'

If you were to actually get yourself a decent newsreader - even Thunderbird would work - rather than using google, you could filter out anything with a subject starting with OT: and feel superior.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm.. Be nice if self discipline stopped us diverting useful threads into political rants:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well at least its still alive, unlike many.

Reply to
dennis

Generally this group does reasonably well at that. Unlike ukra, where more than half the threads are started by an individual with a malicious intent, and the other threads are all joined within a few posts by a couple of people who are determined to insult the previous posters just because they can.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Given many threads divert into something else in any case ... ;-)

FWIW though, I don't think I've previously ever commented on anything political and still don't really, it's just that the whole Brexit thing *has* split the nation, many fearing / realising the consequences of a bad decision are likely to affect everyone for a long time. Unlike every other 'vote', it's also irreversible so even more reason to do our very best to ensure it really is the 'best decision' ... and one as voted for by 'most people' (not just a 1/3rd of the electorate).

So for me it's really only the politics of the process. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Are you trying to divert this thread into a discussion of Brexit?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No, just the process of democracy. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The EU Referendum in the UK and Trump's presidency in the US were the triggers for this trend, I reckon. It's not just uk.d-i-y.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Radio hams are a particularly dangerous breed of deranged loners. Same thing happened with GB3SL in the late 70s. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It does seem to be an obsession of his.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes. It ,marks a shift to the right that SJWs simply cannot accept having pissed all over everyine since Bliar, they think they have a right to carry on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

uk.rec.audio uk.rec.aviation uk.radio.amateur or something else?

where

Reply to
FMurtz

Think I just figured it out after subscribing to all three.

Reply to
FMurtz

uk.radio.amateur

Huge wasn't wrong when he named it "the cesspit".

Reply to
Roger the cabin boy

[22 lines snipped]

*blush* Thank you.
Reply to
Huge

No OT posts predates the recent 'I do not consider existing conditions likely' political stuff. Its been here since the late 90s. it is in fact the fact we interact with those who post it that makes it persist. As its not just myself who does this, I thus have to believe that it is in fact tolerated and indeed condoned by a good number of those here. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff