Consumer unit upgrade & requirement for RCD-free circuit

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

There might be a couple of CFLs still in use, but mostly LEDs now.

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Thanks.

ISTR reading here previously that DC power supplies (computer equipment and chargers) have effects that can cause nuisance trips even without a dangerous fault?

Thanks. (I think the 18-way that someone else posted should suffice!)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Switched mode PSUs generally can cause high leakage because of the filtering they need on their mains inputs to prevent them injecting noise back into the mains.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's it. How many of those does it typically take to trip an RCD?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Depends on the filtering used, but I have seen a worst case suggestion it could be up to 3mA of leakage per device. (and to add injury to insult, A RCD could trip at a point as low as 66% of its trip threshold).

In reality they usually leak less than that! (I must have many tens of SMPSUs running on a single circuit with no trip problems)

Note also that much electronic kit using a SMPSU these days is double isolated anyway, and so has no earth connection.

Reply to
John Rumm

51% trip is a pass.
Reply to
ARW

In our house we have 4 (occasionally 5) PCs, a server, two laptop PSUs,

3 satellite boxes and numerous phone chargers and other PSUs. The (whole house) RCD nuisance tripped quite frequently - causing us to lose 3 lots of fridge and freezer contents due to trips while we were away or while we were asleep. A switch to RCBOs has eliminated that problem and we haven't had a single nuisance trip since.
Reply to
Steve Walker

+1

I went from 2 RCDs to 16 RCBOs and not had a single nuisance trip on any circuit since it was done 9 years ago

Reply to
SH

Bill Wright did the same with one of his CU's on my advice. ISTR the outside power one. Either no trips or a genuine trip that only took out one circuit since he swapped it.

I swapped two very large and full dual RCD CUs at a house before Covid. They had constant trips. The sort of place with a hot tub, gym equipment, lots of outside power/lights etc

I fitted a 16 way TP DB with a single phase conversion kit.

Some circuits, such at the other DBs and garage doors, were fed from MCBs not RCBOs.

It took me 9 hours just to swap it.

No nuisance trips since I did it. I have no idea how much he was billed. (I also swapped the other DBs to RBCOs and did a full test).

Reply to
ARW

Is that really leakage to earth, or other effects that fool the RCD into tripping?

That should fix the problem!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Sounds good, thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

That sounds like a long time for a straight swap --- were there complications?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Er no

It doesnt.

The filter components on an SMPSU are upstream of the 'double isolation'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The house maid distracted me for an hour;-) If I could be so lucky:-(

Fitting the new trunking and separating the 40 circuits up in a good position into the new trunking to allow them to fit the new DB without having to extend the cables took quite a bit of time.

So did labelling up the new board. The stickers that come with DBs have no label pack like a CU. So I had to do it all on a Brother printer.

Plus a couple of SWAs to gland off that originally were just stuffed into the old plastic CUs with no glands on them.

Reply to
ARW

And?

Reply to
John Rumm

_Confessions of an Electrician_

What's the difference between a DB and CU? Just the size, or number of phases? (I thought "consumer unit" was just ordinary British language for "distribution board".)

Reply to
Adam Funk

The regs define them but in short a CU is just a special type of DB that has double-pole isolation and MCBs/RCDs/etc tested to work together for a domestic supply.

Reply to
Robin

That makes sense, thanks.

Reply to