Consumer unit upgrade quotes

Ive just has three quotes to upgrade our old fuse box to a modern consumer unit. £1,300, £625 and £550.

The £1,300 guy didn't even visit he just asked for photos. The £625 guy said we needed new earth bonding to the water mains and oil supply despite the fact the electrician that wired up the new boiler six month ago.

The £550 guy looked at every fitting in the house, garages and workshop. Said the earth bonding was fine but that the isolator in the garages is a museum piece he had never seen before so his quote included a garage consumer unit as well.

Which one would you go for?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I would ask the last one how he is going to provide discrimination between main and garage consumer unit RCDs.

Also which brand of CU they are fitting as I think there's a difference between Hager and Lucky Golden Hedgehog, and that price is suspiciously cheap for anything other than a very basic job.

Cash in hand? VAT registration? Part P Scheme registration?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'll leave that to him. I'll just make sure it all works when he has finished.

He is using Wylex hardware, I don't think Lucky Golden Hedgehog is stocked by our local electrical wholesaler.

No he has a mobile card reader so I'll pay with my Visa card.

VAT registration? Not registered as his turnover is below the required level.

Part P Scheme registration? He tells me he is qualified and can issue all the required documentation.

Incidentally the last time I needed one of these upgrades I did it myself as it was before all this Part P business.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

It's easy enough to check on line if he is Part P registered.

The only snag is if the RCD trips on the new CU. None have tested the installation and have no idea of the insulation resistance of the wiring (unless you already have some RCD protection that is not tripping). If it trips who pays to sort out the fault?

Is the quote for a split load dual RCD CU or are there any RCBOs in that quote?

BTW you can still DIY it. The Part P police do not exist (unless you are charging for the work)

Reply to
ARW

Thanks for the words of wisdom Adam.

All three quotes exclude any remedial work that may be required if the new RCD isnt happy.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

If I could make one suggestion.

Get a couple of the circuits on RCBOs eg kitchen sockets instead of just using a dual split load CU. It should only add £30 quid or so to the job per RCBO.

Reply to
ARW

Noted, I'll discuss this with the sparky.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

And most are happy to discuss things. In fact they might be shocked (no pun intended) that you want to spend an extra £30 to £60 for a better job.

We like clued up customers. They say what they want and they get what they want.

Reply to
ARW

The cheapest, because he appears to be the most competent too.

Reply to
Jack98

Probably the third one assuming you can get to see his work from another client. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As a mater of interest why are you doing it, if its all still working I don't think there any consumer unit police roving the country are there? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And I forgot. Have some spare ways if space allows it - ready for the electric cars:-)

Reply to
ARW

RCD protection as Adam said is a factor but Ive been told the existing very old earth leakage trip is of a type that can refuse to re set if a fault does trip it. Plus we knocked the seller down £10,000 using the need for re wiring and woodworm treatment when we bought the house so why not? Ive included links to a couple of our electrical components for your amusement.

or

or

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Top posting on behalf of Brian

Thanks for the pictures and some info for Brian who cannot see the pictures

Pic 1

A voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker. It will probably will sit there and do nothing whilst you get a shock should you have a problem.

Pic 2

A really old metal fused isolator. It probably has an asbestos sheet in it behind the fuse. All with what looks like new twin and earth into it.

I would like to see what is inside (hint) it as I am sure it is two fuses.

Reply to
ARW

Nope, it has three! see

Or
Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Though I'm puzzled why NICEIC et al don't follow Gas Safe's practice and put online photos to guard against personation (bearing in mind it so easy these days to forge a plausible looking ECS card).

Reply to
Robin

Thanks.

The RHS fuse. Is that VIR going into it? It's a bit hard to tell from the photo.

Reply to
ARW

replying to Muddymike, JessicaDarcey1 wrote: Check with the fourth guys and see if his words matches with any of the other three and choose the one who quotes less ;)

Reply to
JessicaDarcey1