Replacement consumer unit and stuff

I'm currently fitting a kitchen in my 1960's house. Taking the cupboards off the wall I discovered all of the electrics are spurred off one socket! Needless to say I need to upgrade a bit. I also only have an old four way fusebox.

I have been quoted =A3750 to replace the fuse box with a new consumer unit, install five double sockets (ie a new ring main for the kitchen, new cooker point, a new light switch (for the under cupboard lighting) and the whole thing tested and certificated. I already have the new consumer unit - split load without any breakers, which I bought off a mate, so the cost of the actual unit can be taken off. Does this sound reasonable? I have never used an electrician before.

TIA

Reply to
Chuck Chops-Celery

Sounds quite reasonable to me. Make sure you know if the wiring is to be recessed into the walls, and to what extent the electrician is making good the decorations afterwards. He may well not be prepared to use the consumer unit you have sourced. I would also specify the CU is to have some 2 to 4 spare ways unused to allow for future expansion without replacing it again, which will cost you almost nothing extra.

If you care about Part P, you might also want to check he is Part P registered or if he is expecting you to do a building notice which will cost something like £100 extra. In the latter case, you should only pay him when the BCO signs off the work.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

sounds a bargin to me I amd getting prices £1000 plus for that sort of work.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Thanks chaps. I can confirm I'm in the wrong business. Conservative estimate for parts =A3150, max two days work (maybe one)!!!!!

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Chops-Celery

I'd say it's impossible to do the work you've described *properly* in two working days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)