Consumer Unit top and bottom connections

Is there a convention or rule on which wires should be should be connected to the top and which to the bottom of the main switch (etc) in a consumer unit?
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Consumer_unit
On 14/09/2016 22:02, DICEGEORGE wrote:

On most consumer units the live busbar connects to the bottom of the main switch, so as a result the inlet has to be to the top connections of the switch.
--
Cheers,

John.
This reminded me of an old lever switch taken out of our house when it was rewired in the 1970s. I thought it was a double pole on off switch, but as I found out on measuring it, when the mains in was isolated, a fraction of a second later the earth live and neutral of the house wiring were shorted together. I don't thing this is still done, as the old switch dated from 1939, and was seemingly in a die cast metal case with the lever on the side. Very well made inside, all ceramics. Don't make em like that no more, as a friend said. Brian
--
----- -
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:02:19 PM UTC+1, DICEGEORGE wrote:

My one splits to 2 RCDs, but i thought that maybe as most output wires are at the top maybe i shouldnt put the input wires to the top of the main switch,, good, I will, thanks JR