Consumer unit

I'm installing a new consumer unit on a new backboard. What do they call the stand-off fixings that keep the board away from the wall, and where can I get some? I've checked at TLC and I'm obviously looking for the wrong item...!

TIA

John

Reply to
John Horne

hi john those rubber door stop thingies do u mean? mmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply to
burbeck

In My experience, information received from my electrician father in law .....

- Pieces of wood,

- B&Q

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Aye, exactly..!! I like that idea, it appeals to my Scottish sense of thrift Many thanks

Reply to
John Horne

hi john if i knew you was a scot i would have sold you some, but wilkos do a good job of it they do them in pack of 2 very cheap regards bob

Reply to
burbeck

Buy them you say? I was hoping to scrounge some from the wee man who fits the carpets....!!! Regards john

Reply to
John Horne

In message , Rick Dipper writes

B&Q ?

I would have thought that the OP wants it to fit to the wall without rocking

Reply to
geoff

We just used to call them "spacers" - they were thick walled cylindrical pieces of plastic (ex-local rec employee)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"geoff" wrote | >- Pieces of wood, | >- B&Q | B&Q ? | I would have thought that the OP wants it to fit to the wall | without rocking

Reply to
Owain

I think I've only ever seen porcelain ones, usually to match the fuse holders on the board ;-). I had to refit mine at one point, as all the screws had dropped out and the board was hanging on the supply cable and meter tails. When I replaced the CU which was on another board, I got rid of that board altogether and screwed the new CU to the wall.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Modern consumer units do not need them. If the meter/cut out is not on that board, just mount it directly to the wall with screws/rawlplugs. If the meter is on it, then you shouldn't be touching it, as it is the electricity company's board.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Likewise. I would have thought that unless you need to bring the cables in through the holes in the CU's baseplate and need stand-offs for that, there is no reason (given a relatively flat wall) why an insulated CU shouldn't be screwed directly to the wall. The problem with non-flat walls is that they make the fitting of the front cover difficult in which case mounting a bit of board on the wall, perhaps with a wedge or two and mounting the CU on the board would do the trick.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Yeeeerrrs, thank you Christian.

Reply to
John Horne

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 23:02:07 +0100, "Handy Andy" strung together this:

Ta. :-)

Reply to
Lurch

Obviously government agents seeding the DIY market with dud electrical items to justify the introduction of Part P.

MBQ

Reply to
Andrew

My Contactum instructions definitely said to put higher ratings first.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle