Conservatory Install

We want a conservatory on the back of our house. It will be a simple install about 4m wide and 3m deep, no doors and rectangular shape with a 600mm wall. One wall will be the house wall, so three walls to be constructed. Seems Edwardian is the stock shape.

Any national companies come to mind to use or avoid?

Would a diy one and use a local installer to do the work be cheaper/better? I like supporting local firms.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Reply to
ericp

Get a DIY one and do the groundwork and brickwork yourself, then get a local builder to erect it for you. I can give you any help you require with the groundworks, from here of course - don't ask me to dig it out for you :-p

Reply to
Phil L

I've had a very good result recently with Everest on a custom-built conservatory to fit into an awkward shape space. I couldn't find an off-the-shelf DIY-able one to fit so gave up and went for one made to suit.

I had one local company (in Bedfordshire) call and cancel the sales visit on the day and told me they were 'too busy to take on another customer'! I didn't use Everest's own builders for the brickwork, but a small local firm as it saved a few quid.

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

I wish you lived nearer, we could give you loads of work. :(

And I am past digging so it will have to be down to someone else. Sadly the builder mate with the mini digger moved away two months ago. :(

Reply to
ericp

I did look at Everest last night. Will ask for a quote.

I am looking at splitting the work or using a local well established firm that do all of it. Sadly they are the rolls royce type of firm and reflect this in their charges. Their work is first class though.

Reply to
ericp

what do you want it to look like, how will you use it? and how much do you want to spend? plastic wood modern traditional simple fancy white coloured?????

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk writes

If you do split the work, make sure that the brickwork is done to the precise layout and dimensions required by the conservatory supplier. I have seen the brickwork done to dimensions that were thought 'close enough' by the brickie and it required the conservatory install to be bodged on top. This could lead to obvious blame problems in case of leak for example. Otherwise, great idea.

Reply to
fred

Get the brickwork done FIRST, then get the conservatory people in to measure up. This is the only way to ensure you don't get the blame if anything isn't right.

Andy Dee

In article , Andy Dee writes

Good point, however if the conservatory is made up to a standard shape and possibly from standard sections it may be supplied more cheaply so it makes sense to build the brickwork to a template.

Reply to
fred