Painting Over a Conservatory

Hi

The rendering over our conservatory desperately needs painting - plus some cracks need attending to. The problem is, how do I gain access to do this. Unfortunately, the conservatory extends to one corner of the house, so leaning over from that end isn't really an option. I could use a long handled roller, but that would require a lot of sheeting and even then I'd probably end up scraping paint off things for ages - assuming I could reach them. Plus, I still wouldn't be able to get to the cracks.

So, I'm starting to think about scaffolding. Does anyone have any experience of this? The conservatory is about 4.5m wide and I'd need to clear about

3.5m in height. I'm going to approach some local firms on Monday and wondered what sort of cost to expect for a couple of towers and a platform, including erection for a week. Any idea?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Depending on the access to the area around it, you might end up with a hydraulic lift for a couple of days instead. To get scaffolding to span a

4.5m conservatory sounds like a big job (lots of counterbalancing required maybe? I'm no expert...)
Reply to
PCPaul

Thanks a lot.

I should have added that there is very limited access to the back garden where the conservatory is situated.

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Conservatory roof glaziing...no chance of taking these out at the intervals where you need to work?

Reply to
George

When I was building our uPVC conservatory there was no problem with putting scaffolding planks across the roof beams and walking on them, as long as you spread the load across at least three or four beams.

Maybe also try and wedge the planks in place somehow if you're going to be walkin around on them a lot. The roof wasn't 'untouchable' though, is what I'm trying to say.

Reply to
PCPaul

================================== A cantilevered scaffold is possible like this:

4.5 metres might be stretching things a bit. It won't fall over provided that the top horizontals can rest against the wall.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks for the replies. I particularly like the idea of removing some roof panes.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If you go this way and its a ladder job? do harness yourself to something? even if its a rope going through a bedroom window tied to the wardrobe :-)

Seen this before where the guy took out panes of the conservatory glass to do some work above,came off the ladder and he now has very little use of his right hand because as he went through the conservatory roof his lower arm was severely damaged which got caught in glass sticking out on the edge of the framework

Reply to
George

What happened to the wardrobe?

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

What happened to the wardrobe?

It was built-in so he couldn't get a rope round it. :-P

Reply to
George