Conflict between gas supplier and Gas Safe engineer - what to do?

LOL

In that case you saw it wrong. Having a smart meter installed, without switching suppliers, could well have led to the same scenario.

Just because *you* invent it as a reason to keep your head stuck firmly in the no-switch bucket doesn't add relevancy to your comforting homily of a comment.

Reply to
Spike

Unless you have a beko double oven cooker and accidentally turn on the top grill by mistake, while leaving the door shut (thinking you are warming the oven).

Reply to
Andrew
<snip>

<snip>

A mate called out a gas engineer when his boiler broke down (under contract) and they diagnosed the boiler fan and tried to replace it. In the process he damaged one of the screws so condemned the boiler, saying he's need a new boiler (and then left).

Mate got the screw out then fan out himself, called an independent gas engineer who turned up with a new fan, fitted and tested it and went away.

He managed he got some form of compensation from the contract maintainer, after a bit of a struggle.

Not directly related to your scenario but some of this can be down to interpretation / discretion.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Flipper has never mentioned that. I'm sure if it was a condition of getting the best deal here, they would.

Of course you did say some tariffs. Not the best one for you...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Or indeed getting a new person to do your annual gas safety check, who has different opinions from the one who did it last time. Nothing to do with meters or suppliers.

Or even the same person. Had an old cooker once, Gas Safe person said remedial action needed due to burner corrosion. LL did nothing about it. Same Gas Safe person came around the next year, saw the same corrosion unchanged from previous year, decided to condemn the cooker. LL went and bought Currys cheapest, problem solved (apart from being a worse cooker than the old one)

+1

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Well he is well primed for a happy life if his betrothed is also Vegan....

No Name

I see Sunday Times Money has a paragraph about us no-switch retards benefiting the supply companies!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sometimes it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. ;-)

Not if a smart meter wasn't available 'there' it might not.

Like when you go to buy stuff online and it's no available in your chosen store it might not display the price because it's not available (there)?

The best one for me would be the best one for everyone in that it would be 'the cheapest' (well going by some of the comments here). ;-)

Just like places that will price match?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

The thing is, for someone to gain then there is a good change someone else has to lose. No one losing, no one gaining.

It was similar when they were selling off the utilities. People, not interested in having a share of that business, but had some cash to spare, bought all they could and sold them soon after, just for the profit. I didn't join in because I didn't think it was right / fair / moral that they sold off what was ours in the first place.

Same with the domestic solar installations, they are only cash cows (that some people actually bought into them to be) because the rest of us didn't join in the scam.

If we had all done it, no one would benefit (re a cash cow).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Out of interest I had a look at Flipper. On their home page they say "On average our members save £385/year...".

That is a remarkable *average* saving. I find it hard to believe that anyone moving from the worst variable standard rate to the best rate of any supplier would attain anything like that as a maximum saving, let alone average.

As you've been with them some time, can you confirm that sort of saving is possible?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Bear in mind Flipper are quoting the average saving for *their* subscribers, not the savings for a *typical* domestic consumer. There's a risk of self-selection bias - ie their customers are likely to be bigger users switching from standard tariffs.

Which? reviewed such services earlier this year

Robin

Hum, I'm paying (ex vat and standing charge):

14.024/unit, 20 units/day = £2.80/day = £1023.75/year

I've seen tariffs well above 20p/unit:

20.000/unit, 20 units/day = £4.00/day = £1460.00/year = +£436.25 22.000/unit, 20 units/day = £4.40/day = £1606.00/year = +£582.25

We have no mains gas and are normally in all day, every day. Space heating is oil and I'm not including the average 30 ish units/day offpeak E7 anyway...

The average "family home" with gas heating is supposed to consume

3,000 units/year electric or 8.2 units/day. That gives £178.86/year saving between 14.024 and 20p/unit. To be honest I think that 8.2 units/day is low.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Your philosophy is wrong because you have yet to connect some facts for your right-brained bigger picture:

[1] Standard Variable tariffs are the most expensive [2] SVTs help to pay for the cheaper tariffs of the switchers [3] Many people are afraid of the Switching Hobgoblins so don't switch [4] The situation where everyone switches wont happen because of [3] [5] The switchers and shareholders laugh all the way to the bank [6] The rip-off SVTs are so bad Ofgem has had to cap them [7] In the actual bigger picture, we are gaining, you are losing. See [3]
Reply to
Spike

There is no best for everyone. Haven't you been following this thread? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well quite.

Closer than some others it seems. ;-)

A mate regularly goes to Southend On Sea [1] and has fish and chips in a 'posh' (for Southend) Restaurant, even though he says it isn't that much better than what you can get in any of the cafes or in paper on the seafront.

He is happy to pay more (for essentially the same thing) because (in his words), 'the price keeps out most of the riff-raff'.

And I get his point. He doesn't really mean that as some might take it, but he means the wifebeater wearing loud man with his equally loud Essex girl wife and gaggle of feral kids. If they would all act respectfully of others then he would happily share eating his meal with them but they don't.

He would handle cold calling sales calls similarly, saying he is more than happy to pay more for his telephone / broadband / energy because he can afford and chooses to. *IF* however they didn't provide the level of service he requires, he will go elsewhere, even if it cost more. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] He (or his Mrs actually) generally drives there but I think he has also flown them both there (PPL etc). ;-)
Reply to
T i m

I think T i m ' s philosophy, as so well illustrated by his many posts about his vegan diet, can be summed up as 'Equal Misery For Everybody!'

Reply to
Spike

It certainly was first time I used them. After they have found the best deal for you, you're unlikely to get the same savings the next time they flip you.

It could also be that those who use Flipper simply haven't tried to get the best deal going themselves. It was such a minefield, I didn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You just want Equal Misery For All from The Gospel According to T i m.

Reply to
Spike

Simple free way, signup for this -

He lists your best deals, irrespective of whether they get a kickback or not, or whether or not they can switch you. No annual fee to pay, it is completely free of charges. They also optionally club members together to offer an en-mass switch to get even better deals.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Oddly, it was Lewis who recommended Flipper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News