Condensing boilers

flatulence wrote in message wrote:

Flooding foundations has nothing to do with boiler services.
<snip senile drivel>

When did being on topic ever concern you?
--
*Always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back *

flatulence wrote in message wrote:

It obviously doesn't concern you. His condition is past the point of no return.

Since the his obviously refers to the previous quote...
--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

flatulence wrote in message wrote:

He is still confused. Poor soul.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

OK, sentence by sentence:
(1) No problem, I understand this one.
(2) misadvice? Advise is a verb, not a noun. But I;m not sure misadvice is a word either!
(3) Boilers
(4) Enough of the pedantry, and the real point. What does that sentence mean?
Andy

Seems simple enough to understand to me, until you complicated it with profound pedantism and your hilarious subtle brand of condescension - that is.

its
Are you foreign?
<snipped to the relevant bits> Doctor Drivel wrote:

From some points of view, yes.
However, I'm honestly puzzled.
I thought most condensers were multi-part heat exchangers. However I can't see how the number of parts used to manufacture the heat exchanger, nor whether or not it has water on the outside, can have any relevance to cleanliness.
Andy

Nope, only naff ones.

A one piece heat exchanger with a top mounted burner and flue from the bottom, will clean itself inside with condensate washing down the walls.

So needs less servicing than an older boiler?
--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

An annual service of less intensity. Also running more efficiently for longer.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I'm surprised there's that much coming out. Still, I suppose it *is* a weak acid, which must help a bit.
Ta
Andy
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:45:47 +0100, Timothy Murphy
| I just had my central heating boiler serviced | by the gas company here, | for the first time in 14 years. | | The service engineer said the boiler (Potterton "Profile Prima") | as in good nick, which surprised me. | But he mentioned that there are now "condensing boilers" | which save a bit of heat, as they extract heat from the fumes | which are expelled outside the house in older models. | | Is it worth going over to such a model?
It is well worth doing the sums to see how much you would save. On our *very* well insulated extended semi, we spent only GBP 370 in 2004 on heating plus Domestic Hot Water, of which about GBP 150.
So if efficiency of a 25 year old boiler was about 70%, a high efficiency one 80% (sedbuk) and a condensing boiler 90% (sedbuk) we could only save GBP 37 per year going to a High Efficiency one and GBP 75 for a condensing one. These give payback times of 5 to 20 years depending on how much one allows for installation costs. In pure economic terms I would expect a payback of more than 10 years, and preferably over 20 years, the expected life of a boiler.
In our case, the change would not be cost effective. However, because the boiler was clapped out and as part of a remodeling of the kitchen it will go ahead, probably a condensing one, because it would be greener.
I would strongly suggest that you do some cost and savings estimates with your own figures, allowing a reasonable inflation factor for gas costs, before replacing a boiler which is in "good nick".
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.

More like 55%.

More numbers plucked out of the air.
If it were 55% and your modern boiler was 108% or whatever it would near half the gas consumption. And not even the wildest of advertising claims that.
--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

flatulence wrote in message wrote:

Yes 55 is a number.
<snip senile drivel>

Before you embark on a load of misleading figures. The efficiency of a 25 year old boiler is likely to be around 55% efficient. Like the one I just got shot of.

It really depends on the type of 25 year old boiler. In 1980 there were plenty that bettered that and by quite some margin.
--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

RedOnRed wrote:

    1973, Ideal Standard efficiency, 76%
    Regards     Capitol