Condensing Boiler For Kitchen Cupboard

I'm looking for non-combi condensing boiler models suitable for installing inside a standard size kitchen cupoboard.

A bit of Googling threw up the Ideal Icos model as a possibility. I also found the Gledhill GB15, which would seem to fit.

Can anyone comment on either of these models? Or suggest alternatives I might not have found? Or a convenient way to search for them (I've been download pdfs from manufacturers' web sites for each potential model but it's a bit of a slow process)?

The Ideal model looks like a good match, but I haven't found much opinion about this make (slightly negative, if anything). I remember looking a while ago and seeing that they were cast-iron models - would that be a bad thing? Looking on their website now, I can't actually see that mentioned now, so maybe they have changed their design?

As for the Gledhill model, I would be restricted to their 15kW model before they became too big for cupboard mounting. I found a page the other day that estimates the power requirement based on house type/dimensions etc. (I think I got to it via the FAQ) and 15kW came out about right, especially if we get cavity wall insulation and improve our loft insulation. Just as a sanity check, does 15kW sound about right for a 3 bed semi?

Sorry about all the questions, but I would like to get as much info up front before getting any quotes.

Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
bob.smithson

questions, but I would like to get as much info up

their 15kW model

Sounds about right.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If you need another Heat Output Calculator both these sites have one .

Stuart

Worcester-Bosch used to do a 'junior' model that would fit in a kitchen cupboard. Have you looked at that?

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I did look on their site before but I think I must have misread the dimensions, so thanks for prompting me to take another look. If I understand correctly now, the depth of their Greenstar 15Ri is 270mm and it needs a 20mm clearance to a removable door, so that should fit comfortably inside a standard cupboard (300mm depth).

Would you recommend Worcester-Bosch by the way?

Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
bob.smithson

Following up on my own message, I have so far found the following models that might be suitable:

Ideal Icos Gledhill GB15 Glowworm Flexicom hx Worcestor-Bosch Greenstar 15Ri

Any opinions on makes/models appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
bob.smithson

Yes,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

wrote

I have just had a 24Ri fitted, which I think should fit in a wall cupboard. My complaints are: Lots of rattling/vibration from the side casings. Seriously noisy when the fan ramps up to speed - this may be due to the long flue required in my case. The actual discharge of condensed water is a bit disconcerting at first too - plenty of gurgling and the like.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

From inside the boiler?

Is there some kind of air break reasonably close to the boiler - e.g. a very short run to a trap or a tundish under the boiler?

Otherwise, it could be that water is collecting and then running in one lot and sucking out the trap inside the boiler. This is not what you want to happen because it may permit some escape of fumes. You might want to check the maker's recommendation on what is needed.

The rate of flow of condensate should range from a trickle when the boiler is running hard and the water is cold, down to a steady drip when it's hotter.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yeah, but...no but.

Our WB 24Ri is meant to work like that. It collects about 100ml of water and then dumps it is one go, supposedly to stop a small trickle icing up the discharge pipe.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah, OK.

OTOH, if dumping it through a pipe with no airbreak caused a siphon, then perhaps there could still be a trap being sucked out issue?

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Shame they didn't think of that earlier. I've a friend who frequently has no heating when it's icy 'cos the outfall ices up and the boiler shuts down.

Reply to
Guy King

The manual also says the pipe should be lagged. Our guy did that too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Oh, so's hers, it's just that eventually it comes out of the wall and that's when it freezes.

Reply to
Guy King

so's hers ???????

Reply to
Stuart

Ours got lagged all the way to the open end...looks weird!

Reply to
Bob Eager