Computer question

I don't want to get into too much technical debate with Geeks - but do I need Microsoft .NET Framework?
I have been offered an update at 248 Mb. I wonder if I can strip it off as I don't see what benefit I get from it.

If you're running a stripped down system, and you've got no software which uses it, then no. OTOH it's the MS way of developing stuff, so more stuff will be using it. 248M is quite a lot, but think of it as a big shared component rather than a standalone thing.

I don't do games or any developing of applications - just Office, MS Money and Internet browsing.

It's not you developing stuff which will use it, it's other people developing stuff which use it and you then want to use.
I'd probably go grr a bit at the size then accept the install.

Depends. Microsoft have some nice freebies that need .Net Framework installed before you can use them - an example being "Image Composite Editor" which allows you to stitch photos together to make panoramas.

And what's 250 meg nowadays ?
60 quid buys you a TB disk nowadays
--
geoff

I'd be more concerned about the other system resources getting hogged.

And you can buy the exact same disk, with an IBM badge and a nice removable caddy thing, for > 1000 quid if you want :-(
John wrote:

Then install Linux
John wrote:

Only for running new applications written with it.

Probably best to uninstall .NET support completely from your machine if you want to do that. Then (in theory) you'll never get asked about patching it for security issues!
--
Adrian C

Adrian C wrote:

Scrap that thought. Great way for someone to trash their computer if done incorrectly. :-(
For example, I've got graphics drivers (ATI) which use it. Remove .NET, and then it's a very involved mess to recover from.
--
Adrian C

Adrian C wrote:

I'll be shocked if the drivers use it. The pretty GUI that lets you fiddle with the settings is a much more likely candidate.
Andy
Andy Champ wrote:

Yes, it's for the pretty GUI. Whether the driver package remains stable after yanking out .NET that supports the GUI, given ATI's known history of writing good graphics driver packages (not!) is still something I wouldn't like to recommend as a casual experiment.
Remove the ATI drivers. Remove .NET and maybe Microsoft has some generic ATI accelerated drivers that might suffice.
Or glorious VGA 16-color mode ;-)
--
Adrian C

Better to bite the bullet because more and more Microsoft, and other software houses, use it and if you don't you may find something you want will stop. The problem can be that the error messages do not make it apparent what the reason is. I know it can be a pain but better to have it when you can choose than have to get it in a panic!
Peter Crosland
saying something like:

There's a lot of stuff relies on it and I've found it doesn't interfere with normal operations. I put off installing it for long enough, but a prog I needed to use insisted on its presence.
John wrote:

I dont have it and there's no app I've ever wanted to run that needs it. And I run a fair bit of software.
NT
I succumbed and installed xp sp3 some months back, after which my puter did'nt recognise my camera. I've re-imaged back to sp2. Presumably there will be no more updates for sp2 and virus's will wreak havoc? TIA.
brass monkey wrote:

The risks of running unupdated arent as high as theyre usually portrayed. Main thing is to backup your data.
NT

And SP2 is still being updated and will be for a while.
Right now I don't see a reason to get SP3. It's still too new, if nothing else.
Clive George wrote:

I expect after 19th May, Windows Update will insist on it. It's the day that businesses that had elected to block it will find that they can't.
--
Adrian C