Computer question

I don't want to get into too much technical debate with Geeks - but do I need Microsoft .NET Framework?

I have been offered an update at 248 Mb. I wonder if I can strip it off as I don't see what benefit I get from it.

Reply to
John

If you're running a stripped down system, and you've got no software which uses it, then no. OTOH it's the MS way of developing stuff, so more stuff will be using it. 248M is quite a lot, but think of it as a big shared component rather than a standalone thing.

Reply to
Clive George

I don't do games or any developing of applications - just Office, MS Money and Internet browsing.

Reply to
John

Only for running new applications written with it.

Probably best to uninstall .NET support completely from your machine if you want to do that. Then (in theory) you'll never get asked about patching it for security issues!

Reply to
Adrian C

Scrap that thought. Great way for someone to trash their computer if done incorrectly. :-(

For example, I've got graphics drivers (ATI) which use it. Remove .NET, and then it's a very involved mess to recover from.

Reply to
Adrian C

Better to bite the bullet because more and more Microsoft, and other software houses, use it and if you don't you may find something you want will stop. The problem can be that the error messages do not make it apparent what the reason is. I know it can be a pain but better to have it when you can choose than have to get it in a panic!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

It's not you developing stuff which will use it, it's other people developing stuff which use it and you then want to use.

I'd probably go grr a bit at the size then accept the install.

Reply to
Clive George

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John" saying something like:

There's a lot of stuff relies on it and I've found it doesn't interfere with normal operations. I put off installing it for long enough, but a prog I needed to use insisted on its presence.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I dont have it and there's no app I've ever wanted to run that needs it. And I run a fair bit of software.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I succumbed and installed xp sp3 some months back, after which my puter did'nt recognise my camera. I've re-imaged back to sp2. Presumably there will be no more updates for sp2 and virus's will wreak havoc? TIA.

Reply to
brass monkey

Depends. Microsoft have some nice freebies that need .Net Framework installed before you can use them - an example being "Image Composite Editor" which allows you to stitch photos together to make panoramas.

Reply to
OG

In message , OG writes

And what's 250 meg nowadays ?

60 quid buys you a TB disk nowadays
Reply to
geoff

I'd be more concerned about the other system resources getting hogged.

Reply to
OG

And you can buy the exact same disk, with an IBM badge and a nice removable caddy thing, for > 1000 quid if you want :-(

Reply to
Clive George

The risks of running unupdated arent as high as theyre usually portrayed. Main thing is to backup your data.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Did you Google to see if there was a fix? Thought SP3 only effected networked connections - not USB etc.

Could be. My networking between this RISC OS computer and my PC stopped working after installing SP3, and I had to buy updated software on the RISC OS side to get it sorted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And SP2 is still being updated and will be for a while.

Right now I don't see a reason to get SP3. It's still too new, if nothing else.

Reply to
Clive George

Then install Linux

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes Dave, I Googled but couldn't find a fix, just a few other folk with the same problem.

hmmmmmmmm

Reply to
brass monkey

And let international thieves have full access to ye bank account?

Going internet shopping or banking on an unpatched PC is a bit reckless IMO.

Reply to
Adrian C