Computer question

I expect after 19th May, Windows Update will insist on it. It's the day that businesses that had elected to block it will find that they can't.

Reply to
Adrian C

"Clive George" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hardly. It was released last April.

SP3 is solid. I strongly suspect a driver or app update for the previously mentioned video camera would get it up'n'kicking again.

There are definite risks in running un-updated. SP2-with-updates is not "un-updated", until next year when SP2 support is expired.

Reply to
Adrian

Your last two posts contradict each other. Is it 19th May or next year?

Reply to
Bob Martin

He iz not me :-)

From windowsteamblog ...

"After April 28th, Windows Vista SP1 will be delivered via Windows Update. And after May 19th, Windows XP SP3 will also be delivered via Windows Update"

Reply to
Adrian C

I'll be shocked if the drivers use it. The pretty GUI that lets you fiddle with the settings is a much more likely candidate.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes, it's for the pretty GUI. Whether the driver package remains stable after yanking out .NET that supports the GUI, given ATI's known history of writing good graphics driver packages (not!) is still something I wouldn't like to recommend as a casual experiment.

Remove the ATI drivers. Remove .NET and maybe Microsoft has some generic ATI accelerated drivers that might suffice.

Or glorious VGA 16-color mode ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C