computer clocks

[A very good posting!]

[54 lines snipped]

Not entirely true. It's possible to run as a user with non-Administrator rights, and that's how our XP box is configured. Neither my wife's nor my "everyday" accounts have admin privileges. This causes continuous pain ("Cannot update Registry Entry...") but is worth it.

[7 lines snipped]

Solaris. You forgot Solaris!

Reply to
Huge

"Mary Fisher" wrote | I'll look another time, I'm supposed to be preparing for going to | Wales for Christmas! No computer there ...

Chwarae teg, they've probably only just got electricity, give them a chance duw duw.

Maybe a Welsh computer user would let you play with Cymrux - the all-Welsh CDROM-based Linux.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote | At the moment my brain hurts just trying to remember how many socks | to take to Wales ...

Number of days x number of legs x 1.5, + 2

Don't forget to take floral pinny and wellies if you're going to be wearing national costume.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

-

Only when Microsoft modified it and put in hooks to their own OS.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I believe you have stated that you don't use HTML email. Many do. You must be aware that many types of file will run automatically when you view some web pages. More-or-less harmless things like animations and music (harmless is not the same as non-irritating). Internet Explorer was configured to do all these things without asking the user when first installed, and any HTML emails received by Outlook would be rendered by Internet Explorer. The latter is still true, but the defaults have been changed so that the user is asked whether certain content should be run, as it might be harmful. This was not always so, though I can't actually prove this to you as I sit here. An original installation of Windows 98 will contain a version of IE4 or 5.0 which will run many types of content without asking, by default, if you ever have the opportunity to try.

If you read the Microsoft reference I quoted, when you have time, you will see an admission that 'some unusual MIME types' were not being correctly treated, and would run automatically, without user intervention, *even after IE was patched to prevent this*. This is Microsoft talking, not me. The initial condition had been *not* to prevent it. The 'unusual' MIME types in question were mainly audio formats, MIDI and .wav files. The particularly stupid thing that was done was that Windows did not confirm that the files it was asked to run really were audio. Windows just ran them, whatever type of file they really were. Outlook did not hand the files to Windows and say 'these are audio files, play them through the sound system'. It said 'run these, whatever they might be'. And Windows did.

If that were not true, a whole family of viruses could not have worked. As I said, search for 'klez' on any AV vendor's site, for an explanation of how one particular virus worked.

Reply to
Joe

They've had electricity for ages. The dog's getting tired though ... sut mae?

Dw i ddim yn deall ...

Wedi gorffen, nawr. nos da,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I only have white wellies ... and no pinny.

I do have stains all down all my sweat shirts, will that do?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Back to the old "embrace and extend" again ;-)

(IIRC the haloween docs cover this in some detail)

Reply to
John Rumm

"Mary Fisher" wrote | > Don't forget to take floral pinny and wellies if you're going to | > be wearing national costume. | I only have white wellies ... and no pinny.

White wellies are for the dairy, black for everyday and green for church.

| I do have stains all down all my sweat shirts, will that do?

There's lovely, bach.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Pretty unsnubbable, actually - "irrepressible" is one of the politer adjectives occasionally thrown in my direction. Hope you find the disquisition on Windows just the thing to send you off to a comfortable sleep after the double portion of turkey, bread sauce, sprouts, and the streaky bacon you just couldn't resist. Oh, and the sausage meat balls. Oh, and the parsnip chips.

And the trifle.

Cheers - Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Sorry - I included it in a later posting. I didn't mention HP-UX or OpenVMS either - though they're a lot less significant than Solaris in powering high-profile, high-volume websites.

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

You forgot pierogi...... :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

The statement was that attempts to write such things for UNIX systems came to nothing. I was pointing out that they did not. As a corollary, the mechanismsthat allowed the Morris worm to work could still operate (though obviously not in the same code).

Reply to
Bob Eager

In one obscure way probably not that bad, since it was damn hard to get it to connect to anything else at the time!

(By the time you had a TCP/IP stack on it (or Decnet PCSA), there was so little memory left it was only any good as a paper weight! That was when you could spends weeks fiddling with 386Max or QEMM to try and shoehorn the NIC drivers into an upper memmory block!)

Reply to
John Rumm

To avoid confusion, it's worth pointing out that OpenVMS is not UNIX-derived!

Reply to
Bob Eager

We'll be having home reared black turkey which we'll probably have to kill. No bread sauce (ugh!), there'll be home grown sprouts (yum) but the home cured bacon (and ham) will be saved for other meals. Why would one want sausage meat balls? There won't be stuffing even - but there will be savoury pudding before the meal. No parsnip chips either, perhaps roasted (hg) ones and other delights and plum duff I made weeks ago with rum sauce (no sugar). Various wines with the courses.

Then presents. Then silly games. No time for sleep until bedtime - after the cattle have been checked on, the hens, ducks and remaining turkeys closed in and hot water bottle filled. It can be very cold in our little 'van.

The Wise Words will have to wait until we're home again, sorry.

No trifle. There aren't any children - yet - it will all be grown-up fare.

And because we'll be - or have been - Doing It (Y)ourselves it can be justified on this ng :-)

Happy Christmas everyone!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nah, not at Christmas. The Polski Crimble blowoutski isn't Christmas Lunch, it's Christmas Eve. It's "meat-free" and in many homes even "dairy-free", but no less of an excuse for massively indulgent eating for that. Ceremonial start (no noshing till youngest family member spots first star; youngest-family-member role includes being persuadable that they've seen said star when everyone's getting peckish on a cloudy night ;-) - breaking of white wafer and wishing each other blessings, gritted teeth obligatory in most families with an, umm, rich set of relationships. Cold fish dishes and salads to start - pickled herring features large, with lashings of oil and raw onions as trimmings (no snogging under the tree later, then ;-), carp-in-aspic, white-fish-n-carrot-n-tomato gloop. Then borscht, with tortellini-like mushroon-stuffed little fresh-pasta parcels floating therein. Full-on hot fish dish (or three) to follow. Oh, let's throw a dried-fruit compote down our necks at this point. Then pastries/cakes - if you're following the dairy-free thing that defines the particular kind of nosh at this point (lots of ground almonds in the pastry-substitute, lots of syrup-bound raisinsncurrantsnsultanasnpeel things). S'posedly a *proper* full-on Crimble-eve nosh requires 12 courses, one per apostle...

All through this foodular overload, the kids are (a) turning their noses up at all the weird tastes, and (b) nagging the adults to eat up so they can get to the tree for unwrapping the piggin' presents. Oh, and it's a necessary part of the proceedings for at least one glass of deeply staining red wine to spill, the tablecloth being distinctly uneven having been underlaid with straw to denote the laid-in-a-manger bit of the story we're using as an excuse for all this...

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

I only wear white ones. The black ones are too heavy. Green ones??? There's posh!

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh :-(

I thought we'd slipped away from all that stuff for the present ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Eee-yuch! There are some memories which should be left unrefreshed, Dr Rumm ;-)

Reply to
Stefek Zaba