Completely OT: Green laser light

Earlier in the week I had an attempted break in, tonight there's been what appeared to be a green laser (?) light shone over and around one of my windows. I query that it was a laser as, although it was a very small diameter beam it certainly wasn't of the pin point size of, for example, a laser pointer...but it certainly wasn't a "normal" torch. I looked out of the window of an adjoining room, but couldn't see any source. The two occurrences may very well be unconnected, but I just wondered if anyone had heard anything about such a light being connected with nefarious doings.

...or am I about to be asked to take a chap with a suspiciously low number of eyes and high number of limbs to my leader?

Reply to
Lino expert

Your 'other half' hasn't increased your insurance has she?

precision coated laser optics produce a dot size smaller than 2" at 100 yards.

Don

Reply to
Don

Yes, and it has become quite a problem, although possibly not related to the attempted break in. Do a google search on blinding pilots with green laser pointers. Not sure what someone might hope to achieve by temporarily blinding you though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Was it in a darkened room?

A laser pointer over a long distance does create a wider light point. How big was this spot on the wall?

I haven't heard of anyone using a laser to burgle a house, but a filtered torch is less obvious to nosey neighbours than a normal torch light. do you have any kids playing around you area at that time of night?

Some people say they like Star Trek, but I tell them UFO.

Reply to
BigWallop

No, it was the room I was in and the light was on.

It was being moved around a lot and fairly quickly, but I'd say a touch smaller than a 2p piece.

I couldn't see or hear anyone outside, but it was only about Lone Ranger time (ten to ten) so certainly not late.

Hmm, there *is* a tree outside - should I check the starboard bough?

Reply to
Lino expert

No, it was the room I was in and the light was on.

So the light was from a strong enough, and maybe close enough, source to break through the light in your room. Someone is playing a prank, you think.

It was being moved around a lot and fairly quickly, but I'd say a touch smaller than a 2p piece.

A small laser pointer does spread to a size that you saw, and it was pretty close at the time if it was that size on your wall. As others have posted, some kids have been flashing laser pointers at drivers and pilots in planes, to try and dazzle them. Why? I don't know. I hope the craze spreads down my way, because I have a rather large industrial laser to hand, and if the idiots want to know what it's like to be blinded by a laser light source, then I will not hesitate to show them how simply it can be done. :-)

I couldn't see or hear anyone outside, but it was only about Lone Ranger time (ten to ten) so certainly not late.

It sounds like kids playing with a pointer, and probably the same kids who tried to break in to your home. If you do catch them, for heavens sake don't tell the police. In fact, make sure there are no witnesses around at all. Then it's best dealt with.

Hmm, there *is* a tree outside - should I check the starboard bough?

There maybe Klingons on trying to branch out, and you're in charge of the away team. :-)

Please let us know if you find out what it was. It is a mystery that needs solving.

Reply to
BigWallop

Was the laser on 'stun'?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bet these *fly* off the shelves too

Andy Burns

They don't know their mW from their Mw.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I guess post this before others do:

Gordon Henderson

No, it was the room I was in and the light was on.

It was being moved around a lot and fairly quickly, but I'd say a touch smaller than a 2p piece.

I couldn't see or hear anyone outside, but it was only about Lone Ranger time (ten to ten) so certainly not late.

Hmm, there *is* a tree outside - should I check the starboard bough? And the Captain's Log.

Reply to
Graham.

Thanks all, I shall keep; a) 'Em peeled; b) A mirror handy should it happen again; c) Right on to the end of the road.

Reply to
Lino expert

Ohhh, 'leaf' it alone will you? I 'twigged' this a long while ago, and 'seed' it for what it was. You're obviously 'barking' mad, (sorry, didn't mean it). The 'root' of the problem of the green laser is quite clearly kids messing about, that's all, and shouldn't be anything to worry about, as long as it was just a one off. Mind you, if the spot began burning the wallpaper off, I WOULD BE WORRIED. I remember building my first laser from scratch many many years ago. As I was young at the time and lasers were not really heard of, I had plenty of 'fun' shining the laser into peoples windows at night. The red laser would spread to the size of a CD over the other side of the estate from us (1/4 mile? but still very bright). Must have looked weird if you didn't know what it was. I must state though, that I totally disagree with kids trying to blind people with these more powerful lasers (thought I'd just add that). Cheers Dave

Reply to
Dave

I must admit I didn't look across the room to see what it was like on the wall, just saw it on the curtains.

Anyway, having done similar yourself, yew wood say that...

Reply to
Lino expert

Finally worked it out;

"In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Lantern's light!"

You must have been chosen as the next one!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Give your local police a call. not 999! but say you want to report someone lurking around in the area - say you don't need a visit but get a log number. It might be something they've had elsewhere - just say someone was shining a green torch into your windows as if looking for open doors etc.

Reply to
mogga

Excellent, does this mean I can now march through the woodland singing songs that tell how I have righted wrongs?

Reply to
Lino expert

,

ROFLMAO !!!!!! I like it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Only if you're shirtless. It's so much more dramatic if you're shirtless. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop