combi versus conventional boilers

Nice to see you've snipped your drivel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can fit an in-line instant electric heater in the DHW draw-off pipe.

Daft idea!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It was an accident whilst he was cutting the wrapping paper...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Someone buy the boy a brain for Christmas...

if you read carefully you will note I did not say *all* combis are slower at filling baths. Just the vast majority of those that are currently installed, or are likely to be recommended by installers are slower than *most* stored water systems.

You can claim otherwise if you like, but no mater how many times you do it, it will still be no closer to being true.

and most you can't...

Sometimes one may prefer something appropriate for the circumstances.

If I had a small flat, and a cold main that can deliver 10 lpm I would not want a combi even if it did save a cupboard.

Not the "best of both worlds" then is it? No stored water for people in areas of unreliable supply.

You will also note the OP expressed a preference for something that can run hot water and CH concurrently. Not something easy to achieve with a very high flow rate combi and a domestic gas meter.

Can you think of any ordinary non storage combis that can deliver water at effective powers exceeding 100kW?

Go on, dispel and old wive's tale.

Reply to
John Rumm

Makes you wonder how he thinks 16 lpm of 45 degree water is "faster" than 25 lpm of 60 degree water mixed with 15 lpm of cold.

Still with his maths I guess it makes sense.

Reply to
John Rumm

Congratulations on a workable and useful suggestion!

Reply to
John Rumm

What a fool. An inline electric heater simply can't produce the same flow rate as an immersion which stores a large quantity of pre-heated water. Which will supply all the same taps. Or perhaps you live in one room?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He probably believes that turning up the CH thermostat makes the house warm more quickly

Reply to
Andy Hall

With all due respect to Judy Garland of course.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The words very very very roughly mean a lot

For me it was my life-style that made me choose a combi. I live on my own in a 3 bed house with only one bathroom and I frequently do not return home for several days (often without warning), I also have no regular time of arrival when I do come home. I prefer HW on demand with as little waste as possible.

If things change and I end up in some years time with 2 teenage offsprings it should be no great shakes to change the system around. I have a loft and all the bits could fit up there for an unvented system.

You pay your money and you take your choice

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You need to address 'building services engineers' (these are probably engineers as opposed to technicians) not the developers.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

A classic example of where a lifestyle factor is key to the choice.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I have spoken to many of them, and they fit what they are familiar with. Developers also don't like moving too far from the last lot they made money on. They really don't know what is on the market. What is needed is a wall mounted stored water combi with electric back up for DHW. Easy to do!! Haven't seen one.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

When kiddies come along, he only needs to change to a high flow combi. They are getting better and small by the month.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Once again Chav, "Some combis can fill a bath faster than a gravity cylinder system."

Did you get some more heavy jewellery for Christmas?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Then tell us how, genius.

The reason being that a domestic electrical supply isn't suitable to provide an adequate instant supply of hot water even allowing for a small store as in some combis. Hence the use of an immersion to store pre-heated water.

One of these days you'll understand the reality of physics and stop pratting on about things you don't understand. But then again probably not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of course they can, pet. And you sometimes speak sense. Both are so rare as to be irrelevant.

Did you get let out just for Xmas? I sincerely hope so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)