Combi fed Mira 415

I noticed a damp patch on my ceiling today and needed to go in the loft to sort out the packing gland on one of the two stop taps that feed the shower mixer. Both are turned down quite low in the winter in an attempt to reduce the flow so that the combi can cope with the low inlet temperature and still ensure a hot shower.

(As it is a balancing type valve I do turn down both the hot and the cold)

Reply to
John

Yes to be sure. No need for valves if flow regulators are installed in each line.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Could you recommend a specific valve? (will do some Googling)

Reply to
John

at part No: 17527 and associated parts. Try around 7 litres/min on each of hot and cold. Then guaranteed good performance all year round.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Many thanks. What is your reason for suggesting 7 litres / min.

Incidentally, I have the shower head with the smaller holes - I spotted a single flow reducer that fits after the mixer valve. I did have some success with a washer fitter in order to reduce the output - but it feels better to reduce the flow to the valve.

Reply to
John

7 litres/min usually gives a decent shower. If in winter the cold mains is very cold, you may need to turn the valve more to over hot, but it still will give a decent shower. You don't want 12 litres/min coming through which is just warm.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I suppose I need to measure what I am getting now and make some estimates

Reply to
John

Just took a measurement with a bucket and a watch. Current delivery is 11.5 Litres / Minute.

I went onto the Mira site and asked their tech people and they sell a restrictor for the outlet side of the shower.

Reply to
John

Yep a bucket and clock to give hot and cold at litres/min

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

11.5 Litres / min with the head on full. With it on the concentrated setting then it is about 9.5 litres / min.

I am thinking I need a 0.13 Litres / second pair of valves (7.8 litres / min) this should give the boiler more of a chance. Fitting 2 new valves should be more reliable than the 20 year old stop taps that have leaked slightly on several occasions.

Reply to
John