combi boiler timer problem

The timer on my boiler is giving me problems. When I set it to turn on/ off the central heating and hot water, it doesn't work. I can boost the CH or HW for an hour and it keeps the time and settings fine - just doesn't fire when it's supposed to. Any suggestions?

Reply to
ramman

Has it just stopped working or has it always been like this?

Reply to
Lobster

No - it worked fine until recently.

Reply to
ramman

What sort of timer: digital, or mechanical with the rotary dial?

If the latter then these can fail to switch properly when they get old. The solution is to either replace it, or leave it permanently on and add a programmable room stat and leave that to control things.

Reply to
John Rumm

Stop being ageist

Failing to switch properly is more a function of age rather than being mechanical (falls into own trap !)

Digital timers have internal relays and their contacts are, in general, less robust than the contacts of mechanical timers

Reply to
geoff