Coluring leather

Does anyone know if there is a way to recolour leather? our 15yr old chesterfield is in fantastic nick apart from the setee cushions, I've been quoted =A345 each for new covers from the maufacturer, but wondered if there's a product that will colour them for now?

cheers

Reply to
Staffbull

I have good news and bad news.

Good news; I saw an article about this, this very morning.

Bad news; I can't find it.

It was on Pistonheads, in the forum, in one of the General TVR, Chimaera or Griffith forums.

had a quick look and I couldn't find it, sorry.

Reply to
Huge

Gottit!

Huge

Woolies sell a recon kit. I've used it on car seats with great success. They match the colour to a sample of your original.

Dave Plowman (News)

I think leather colouring is part of the tanning process. Anything applied subsequently will almost certainly rub off on clothing I would have thought.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Mine's all (fairly) good news - I saw soemthing on the RRBEW

forum

recommended.

As ever, proper preparation is vital. Another tip is not to skimp on materials: the previous owner of my Proper Motor Car didn't order enough, so it looks distinctly streaky in places.

Reply to
Autolycus

Yes, but I think it'll end up around the same price unless anyone knows=20 of a UK based supplier :-}

Colin Wilson

Thanks, the Woolies stuff should do, and the small pack is enough to do a small chair so should be adequate to do the faces of three cushions.

:-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Part, but not all -- certainly for something with a smooth surface on it.

As a rough guide to whether magic leather restorer kits are any good, are they colour matched to the leather? The good ones (Connolly) are. The ones that aren't, aren't.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The Woolies stuff is water based and soaks into the surface. You finish with some form of wax. It doesn't come off on clothes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Connolly went out of business several years ago. Is the name still in use?

Reply to
Huge

Their hide food is still available, but dunno about their re-colouring process.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just as a supplementary, they offer a different surface finish for furniture compared to cars which IIRC gives a more glossy hard wearing surface. But there are details on their website.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, deffo worth a try @ 3rd the price :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

It's worth noting you don't get a brand new appearance. Any creases where the surface has worn off remain, but take on the colour of the dye. Of course this could be said to retain any patina - but isn't the same as the old Connollishing process which shaved the surface smooth before re-colouring and did look like new.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)