Collecting for charity OT

e:

It amounts to the same thing. It may not cost much, but you're still wa= sting it - by your own admission, adding to landfill. By the way, I rec= ycle my biros, don't you? The ink part goes in landfill, but the plast= ic surround goes in the plastics bin.

-- =

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of peopl= e very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The people who turn up on your doorstep have absolutely nothing to do with the charities they claim to represent.

Reply to
alan_m

Which in turn just goes to landfill a bit later.

Reply to
alan_m

This will not stop them. Many cold callers to the doorstep start with the line "I'm not selling anything". The religious nutters don't realise they are nutters.

Reply to
alan_m

This is what the chuggers that turn up on the doorstep would have you believe! They want your details so they can bombard you with phone calls begging for yet more money.

Any charity that preys on the weak, vulnerable and stupid in society by employing these chugging methods, either directly or via a third party, is not a reputable charity.

By saying that charities get _SOME_ of the money is only legitimating mugging.

Reply to
alan_m

I've seen no less than TEN people in the last week or so walk past my living room window, look at the door for a second, then walk off hurriedly. Not a single one rang the bell or knocked. I was quite hoping that some (especially religious nutters) would knock, so I could point to the sign and give them abuse. If anyone says "I'm not selling anything" I try to get them to give me it for free. They soon f*ck off.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Cite.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Cite.

(I know it's true for the clothes collection bags)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

what a fatuous and useless comment

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...together with the rest of the bin/load.

Does his local council say that they recycle Biro cases?

Not all plastic is the same. They usually won't recycle plastic food trays. (I don't know why.)

How do they separate the different types of plastic from bottles &c.? Or do they just chomp it all up into mixed plastic granules for... whatever?

Reply to
Max Demian

My council used to say type 1 and 2 only, now they say anything and list many many things which are allowed. Basically you can put any plastic in there. I can't think of an automated way to seperate plastics, perhaps they have minimum wage workers picking out bottles etc with the plastic type stamped on them, then everything else is lumped together to make something else.

Mind you, there are some pretty cool ways to seperate stuff now available - for example they can make non-magnetic metals fly off the conveyor belt by inducing an electric current in them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm stupid enough to not use pens that work about as well as ones fished out of landfill.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

they must have looked in the window first.

Reply to
tabbypurr

hardly. But yours is.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't have a problem operating them. Have you got them the right way up?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No, just at the door.

Reply to