Condensing boiler and PVC

Without being too technical and just in case anybody else has this issue. Bungalow, condensing boiler in the loft, flue over the bathroom window. The height of the flue is well within regulations. Fitting the boiler in a different location would have resulted in long unsightly runs for the condensate drainage pipe. I've noticed for quite a while that the PVC window ledge has rusty yellow stains on it. I incorrectly put this down to the acidic droplets or whatever from the flue gasses removing the white from the PVC window ledge. Cleaning with ordinary household cleaner was futile. Today I had a go with meths and a Brillo Pad. The stains came straight off leaving the PVC like new.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

You have scratched the stained layer off - you haven't cleaned it!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Soap filled Brillo Pads and my gentle hand. No scratches. The window ledge is now gleaming white.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

plume of applause ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

uPVC is actually very porous. There is some sort of varnish put on to prevent staining. I 'spect you have now rubbed this off and it will stain easily. You can get speacial stuff to reseal them.

harry

very often its rusty water dripping of the window lintel.

Reply to
critcher

The other window ledges are fine.

Reply to