Cold warer tap "hammer"

hi,

I have had a problem on an outside tap that "hammers" but only at very low setting. I have altered the pipework and put in some large radius bends. It seemed to have cured the problem but its come back! I have a cold feed with a water softener in my garage and a cold feed is taken off the mains just before the softener to the kitchen tap. The outside tap is taken off from this pipe just before the sink.

I have tried turning the stop c*ck down but I suspect it may be to do with the actual tap as I found the top of it leaking slightly so re-tightened it and the hammering came back!

Should I:

  1. Try a new tap?
  2. Fit a pressure reducer?
  3. Fit more clamps to pipes
  4. Something else!?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:00:35 +0100, Peter Hemmings wrote: Sorry about typo!

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

You could try a shock arrester

Part number 11355

I had a similar problem and one of these fixed it completely.

It was put near the branch to the outside tap.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Andy Hall writes

Also likely to be a shit tap. If you open it up, you may find that the washer seat is very loose (intentionally to make the thing self seat) and that this play leads to a tendency for the loose bits to oscillate at low flow. If you dry it out thoroughly and put a dab of silcone sealant behind the loose bit(s) it will let them float but not oscillate.

Reply to
fred

Snip

I may not have room for one as the pipe come in behind a washing machine then goes up inside a box io the kitchen wall but I will givwe it a go if Fred's advice fails!

This has only really happened (now and again) since I changed the tap (and yes it was cheap), so this might well be the problem. It also seemed to get worse after I tightened it, why I don't know, but I will try your suggestion, then if unsuccessful, a better quality tap and finally if necessary a "shock arrester".

I will post the result for information. but it maybe later in the week. Thanks for the suggestions

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

snip

I removed the top of the tap and put silicone behind the "loose bits" and SUCCESS it now works perfectly!!

I am not being quite truthful here though, when I removed the top the washer was off of its center "spigot"! It was the correct diameter but the centre hole was too big and therefore was just floating inside the tap.

I could say it was supplied with the wrong washer but I think I am the guilty party here! Thanks for your help, the problem was definitely an oscillating washer!!

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

In article , Peter Hemmings writes

:-D