Coconut oil - killing lawn ?

Finally got round to cutting the lawn(s) - first time in 8 weeks.

Noticed a coupled of smallish odd brown patches on the back lawn. The placing of them seems to be where I've once or twice spat out some coconut oil, (after using it to clean teeth & gums - google "pulling" :) ).

Since only 30-40ml is involved, then (if it is the cause) wtf is in the oil to act as a great herbicide ? (SWMBO suggested coating the block paving in it :) )

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It's possible. Grass, and plants in general, have pores in their leaves through which they 'breathe', and oil will probably block those pores. Mineral oil seems poisonous to plants for that reason, see

but I'm not so sure about plant-based oils. Emulsions of (IIRC) linseed oil in water are used as 'green' insecticides, the oil blocking the breathing pores of insects, usually greenfly, and killing them. It doesn't seem to harm the plants though.

So, who knows?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Cooking oil or WD40 works to kill mites on hens' legs.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Could be Vixen piddle.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Imagine washing your mouth out with vixen piddle

Reply to
TimW

A likely explanation IMO, although possibly a bitch-dog or even a cat.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It could be that the oil drops acted like lenses and allowed the suns rays to cook the grass, wok-style.

Local bowling club adds a wetting agent when they water their green and it certainly looks very green.

Reply to
Andrew

does it cure their arthritis as well ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Well I know for a fact (visual confirmation :) ) that we have foxes around ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk