Climate change: Jet fuel from waste 'dramatically lowers' emissions

Chris B pretended :

My understanding suggests the cap the landfill, then add vertical pipes to simply burn off the methane released.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Steve Walker formulated on Tuesday :

That is the real reason.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

alan_m formulated the question :

With the small saving more than taken care of by the extra fuel used in the collection vehicle.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Our local landfill closed decades ago. For many years there was a set of three generators running off the collected methane. That reduced to two, then one and now none. Presumably as methane rates fell.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Is that an estimated figure or how much on average a household puts out for recycling in the UK?

My local council have a waste food collection scheme but judging by the number of people in my street who put out the waste food container for collection its probably less that 1 in 20 households.

I compost my vegetable food waste, along with cardboard and shredded paper. Meat waste tends to go down the bottom of my long garden to feed any wildlife as it tends to stop the wildlife tearing apart rubbish sacks.

Reply to
alan_m

Garages now have to pay for old oil to be taken away.

Reply to
Andrew

That's roughly what my wife and I put out. Might be a slight overestimate. I'm happy for my LA to compost it all efficiently. They take paper in another box, then glass and plastic in a wheelie bin. They have also just opened an incinerator, to the disgust of greenies, although to my mind it's efficient to convert plastic film and contaminated "paper" into electricity.

Reply to
newshound

They can't just filter it and put it in the bulk oil dispenser. (Do you remember those green metal Castrol jugs?) (That why they switched to the cans with the peel off foil tabs.)

Reply to
Max Demian

What grade would it be?

Yes, I've still got one/

Reply to
charles

Bugger that, when (as a 6th former in the 60's) I had a job in a petrol station I had to re-fill empty Castrolite and Castrol XL tins from the bulk dispensers, and try to make sure customers did not realise that I had not had to pull a tab off the can. (We had tabbed cans stacked there too, for the more fussy or observant customer).

Reply to
newshound

Wouldn't be that much of a problem to put it back in the plastic bottle and re-seal, if they want to rip people off.

BTW, you need pretty sophisticated filtering to make old oil look new.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well, we complain enough about supermarket excess packaging. And you don't really think a big garage uses oil from litre tins for routine oil changes? Many have a bulk dispenser that measures out the exact amount for each model.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Those days are history Dave. Almost every car now has its own particular specificatrion of oil. One-man outfit operating out of the old red star parcels bay at the station has a huge collection of ?4-litre oil containers with varying amounts of oil that should not be mixed. each bought for a car being serviced.

Reply to
Andrew

Oh bullshit.

More bullshit.