Cleaning wool carpets.

Hello,

We are about to clean the carpets in our house which are all woollen, we have a Vax carpet cleaner which does a good job of cleaning carpets, however I was wondering if you can use hot water like you would normally, also would a quality shampoo give much better results than the Vax AAA shampoo?

Our Vax also has a pre treating wand so I could also apply any pretreatment should it be necessary.

I was thinking of applying the appropriate Prochem pre spray then agitating the carpet with a brush and finally using hot water mixed with Prochem wool safe carpet cleaner to clean the carpet. I will remove as much moisture as possible and have the gas fire and gas central heating running.

Thank you.

Reply to
David

I can't comment on the advisability of this other than to point out that when I've used our Vax with shampoo other than the AAA stuff they reccommend, it was hopeless, as the waste chamber quickly filled with foam which caused the float valve shut-off thingy to keep operating long before the chamber was full.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Which sort of Vax was that? The little Bissel-like ones, or the bigger Dyson-like ones like my new 124? I've a bottle of Rug Doctor shampoo here which I'll be having a go with soon and will report back...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mine doesn't do that, it's the Vax Rapide V026-PT

Reply to
David

I was about to post a link to the carpet cleaning FAQ, and then realised it was not in the Wiki yet ;-)

So it is now:

(If TMH Dave is reading, do you want to check that for accuracy?)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd be interested to hear if you know what can get an orange peel stain out of a wool carpet?

It's the only stain we've never been able to budge after seemingly trying anything.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Its pretty much there John, a few minor changes which I'll get too as soon as I have a spare minute.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Warm, definately not hot. And yes a trade rated detergent would prolly give better results. I'm assuming that your VAX is a spray/extract type machine?

Thats the pro way of doing the job.

Ideal method, but warm water, not hot. The Prochem range is the mutts nuts, you won't find better.

Ventilation drys carpet. Open all the windows, get some air moving.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Possibly you used a high foam crystalising shampoo instead of a low foam extraction shampoo.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Try the stain devils stuff from a supermarket.

for one that copes with dye type stains; tea, wine etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thank you.

I ordered the Prochem Wool safe liquid and the stain remover which is also wool safe, after seeing the price for the Prochem wool safe pre spray I think I'll just have to make do with the Vax pre treatment solution.

I ordered these chemicals from cleanstore.co.uk yesterday and there should arrive today.

So the best way to dry the carpets would be to open the French doors and set up a fan in the room?

Reply to
David

Just to confirm, Rug Doctor shampoo works fine in a Vax 124 without excess foam problems.

Didn't get the carpet clean, but then we're talking about leaky roof damage and I think it's beyond help anyway.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's a V-026 - this one:

...and I still have the bottle of shampoo which foamed up the works and was utterly useless:

Qualtex "Carpet and Upholstery Shampoo with Defoamer" (sic!) "...suitable for all vacuum cleaners with carpet and upholstery washing facility

David

Reply to
Lobster

Pre spray with the wool safe liquid.

Yup - ventilation is the key. Proper carpet cleaners use blowers like these

The Medway Handyman

these

> --

The Vax pre spray should be okay as it's wool safe, one of the chemicals I ordered is out of stock so I have to wait for that to come in stock to receive the whole order, flippin company didn't even tell me that chemical was out of stock!

Reply to
David