Cleaning the rubber seal to the drum on a washing machine.

In spite religiously wiping it every time after use the seal between the drum and door had become blackened. Is there any way to get it clean? If so how can it be kept clean?

Reply to
Broadback

I've found some of the disinfectant wipes to be effective by just leaving them in the lining/seal for 15 minutes before wiping off.

I believe most machine manufactures recommend leaving the door ajar when not in use so the drum and seals have a chance to dry out. My mothers machine has the same problem as yours mainly, I believe, because it is built in and closing the cupboard door front fully closes the machine door.

Perhaps the problem is residue from powers sticking to the seal and if so try using a different form of detergent.

On my machine the only place I occasionally get a black mould in in the soap drawer. The drawer can be removed and soaked in bleach to clean it but that still leaves the soap dispenser cavity which i clean with a spray disinfectant and use a old toothbrush. Again, spray and leave for

15 minutes then spray again and use the brush.
Reply to
alan_m

The problem is due to algae. Leave the door open. Most algaecides are pretty nasty and ineffective after a while. All you can do is wipe with bleach which is the least nasty.

Reply to
harry

Bleach. And always leave it ajar when not in use.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Dunno cos it always happens. I think its some kind of mould. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:qson7u$ead $ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Built in appliances are the spawn of the devil to the DIY person

Reply to
John