Cleaning grout off tiles.

Green pot scourers (ie the scouring bit) are normally "scratch" and some can be quite agressive. The white ones are "non-scratch". Might not be quite so an issue on matt compared to a smooth or gloss surface.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

scratching

Ooo, they look interesting, thanks. Quite a selection of different types and grades to choose from as well. Wonder if they'd be better used with a random oribtal sander rather than drill?

Must admit to being a bit cagey using a mains powered tool in combination with the required lubricating/debris removal water.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've got pots with glass lids. Never had a problem with any pot scourer scratching that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That looks just the thing. Says it won't scratch glass, so presumably ok on tile faces? Assuming the matt finish on mine is as hard as glass?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Just to add, a review says they were great for removing grout residue - so I've ordered up a set. I've got plenty batteries for the cordless drill so not concerned about using some water with them.

Ebay has plenty refills and cheap - but from China. I can see this being very useful for lots of other things if it does what it says on the tin.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I have a plastic window scraper that takes a standard stanley blade. Useful for going over a window, wetted with water and some washing up liquid, after external painting, to remove any miscreant blobs and small splashes of paint.

Andrew

With an angle grinder :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Harpic ?. Contains dilute HCL and is sticky enough to adhere to the tiles rather than running off too quickly.

Reply to
Andrew

+1
Reply to
wasbit

Earlier this week I re-enameled our 50 year old bath. I managed to get a line of this 2 part paint above the masking tape. A window scraper removed the paint without scratching the tiles. Note: The tile are not completely flat. It's like they had paint dripped on them & were then glazed over the top so that the whole surface undulates.

Reply to
wasbit

Tell that to a patch on a windscreen and the wood burning stove glass that had an ecounter with green (aka "scratch") pot scourers. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

presumably

Be very interested to know how you get on. I can think of a couple of possible uses as well.

Only one and that appears to be on it's way out. Though a few decent dis/recharge cycles would probably do it a world of good.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup. The white one are OK. But t gree ones will degrade surfaces damned fast. Even glass.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They arrived this morning. Very impressive service. I'll try it later today.

I treated myself some time ago to a Lidl set of cordless hammer drill, jigsaw and circular saw that all use the same batteries. And got a couple of spares too. So I'm ok for a while. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Had a chance to play?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not yet - I'm struggling with putting up the new ceiling. No room to get a tall enough step ladder in there - so having to work at full stretch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I've over boarded two ceilings this year and still have one to do. I invested in a plasterboard hoist after remembering the hassle I had when I was younger :(

My original ceilings were at 9 foot.

The other cheap accessory that was a god-send was a plasterboard handle which made one man shifting of 2.4m x 1.2m plasterboard sheets a doddle (as long as they didn't have to go up-stairs which has a 90 degree bend). Luckily the only room upstairs that required a new ceiling was a small box room requiring only two plasterboard sheets.

Only one handle is required for a one man to lift a sheet of plasterboard - just get it in the middle of the longest edge.

Reply to
alan_m