Cleaning grout off tiles.

Was grouting some new tiles, using the combined waterproof adhesive/grout, and got called away before finishing off. The actual grouting is fine - but a lot of residue on the tile faces, now rock hard. Tiles are ceramic and matt finish. Any tips on the easiest way to remove the residue?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No-one? I can scrape it off with a chisel without damage to the tile. Was hoping someone knew a quicker way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

cover in kitchen roll and keep misting it with a plant sprayer for a day or two?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Residue as in a thin film or ridges of set grout? For the former just use the shower and wipe down the tiles after every use it'll eventually go. Even the ridges become slighly less attached after "a while".

Naw, not with a cement based waterproof grout. Spray with a mild acid, citric or calgon or kettle descaler or WHY. Might be able to make a paste with citric spread on scrape off hopefully with the grout or just work it in/around with an old tooth brush. Any scraper needs to soft and not metalic.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Remove and replace the tiles.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I don't think it's a mortar based adhesive. Not the sort you'd use for tiling outdoors. More water resistant than waterproof. Fine for an occasional use shower room walls.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The packaging will tell you. Or just keep it wet for an hour or two ordinary grout/adhesive will soften, waterproof won't even notice.

Thin film may come off with a non-scratch scourer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

alan_m

Likely so.

Due to my hands getting a bit arthritic I was hoping their might be something that fitted a power tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I find a box cutter about the right combination of flexible and blade width for scraping off bits of set grout. The waterproof stuff once fully cured is only going to come off by physical removal.

If you have a steady hand a stanley knife with the blade in paper scraping configuration will give you an even wider scraper edge.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Polishing mop and polisher?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

acid

Reply to
tabbypurr

The clue to the effectiveness may be in the word "film" and it may be effective on the haze that is left after a brief wipe-off rather than removing bulk material.

Reply to
alan_m

on a matt surfaced tile?

Reply to
alan_m

Didn't say anything about any polishing compound. B-) Also thinking that a polisher is going to far less agressive than a cloth wheel on a drill or angle grinder.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What would that do to the actual grouting which is fine?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Those green plastic pot scourers seem to do it OK. Without scratching the surface. A wheel made of that to fit a power tool would be great.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You can buy various grades of "scotch-brite" wheels/discs, e.g.

Andy Burns