Cleaning a sink - two questions

On 04/03/18 21:12, DerbyBorn wrote:

Depends on your plumbing :)
My bog never blocks and a drop of Domestos and the odd application of bog cleaner keeps the insides good. But I installed it with a high flush and a full 110mm pan connector.
Some others are rubbish - blocking all the time, kitchen drains that cannot cope with coffee grounds and so on. Rubbish plumbing is the main reason.
On 04/03/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:

Our kitchen one blocked soon after we moved in. I suspect the PO's chip fat. Sodium hydroxide fixed it.
It was blocked at the tail end of last week too. We have a pipe going to an external gully. The gully was overflowing. The pipe from there to the sewer is not very far underground, 30ft long, and not steeply sloping. I think it just froze.
Andy
"FWIW several years ago there were oxygen based bleaches on the market, but they all disappeared."
I think chlorine free bleaches were a little volatile for a supermarket. I remember seeing swollen containers, and I imagine some might have exploded.
On 06/03/2018 06:51, stuart noble wrote:

Peroxide can be used to make explosives. How are the girlies going to touch up their roots? Boots only sells it on prescription now. Who would give you a prescription? Your imam?
--
Max Demian

On 04/03/18 11:10, Scott wrote:

Water or any acid
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
On 04/03/18 11:10, Scott wrote:

Was the cleaner a solid or liquid? If solid, the action of dissolving in water is massively exothermic so you might have had a steamy mist of the solution.

Thanks. That is indeed what seems to have happened. The sink was moved years ago (not by me) and there is now a very long run to the start of the drain.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted

Good advice. It's important to remember that requests for advice about DIY are not welcome on this newsgroup. People should always look elsewhere if possible.
--
Jack

Scott wrote:

Had you previously put something else (e.g. bleach) down the sink, in an attempt to unblock it?
On Sun, 04 Mar 2018 10:10:10 +0000, Scott

It is concentrated Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide) and has a strong exothermic reaction when added to water. In this case the water in the sink trap boiled when the Sodium Hydroxide was added producing the caustic steam/spray. It wasn't reacting to anything other than water. Caustic Soda is one of the few chemicals in domestic use where all the little warning symbols really mean it. A drop in the eye can cause irreversible damage. It will also mark stainless steel. It is very corrosive.

If you mean pour strong bleach in then add water this may well damage the sink surface. Dilute bleach is fine as long as it isn't left to stand in the sink. See
https://www.cemag.us/article/2014/09/are-your-stainless-steel-surfaces-being-corroded-repeated-bleach-use
for some objective tests. Note also that "Stainless Steel" has many variants and finishes - what doesn't mark one may well affect another.

Work for what? Dilute bleach is an effective anti microbial. It isn't a particularly good cleaner..

Quite possibly, some plugs have a plated (metallic) finish and bleach may affect these. The more concentrated the bleach the greater the potential for damage. Caustic Soda will also cause damage. Most concentrated bleach bottles warn against undiluted use on metals.
On 04/03/18 10:10, Scott wrote:

hot steam with possibly a little hydronium, sidioum hydroxide and other interesting things depoending on what was blocking the sink

Yes its fine
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
Scott wrote:

If it is blocked or something? A sink plunger costs about a quid or less.
I'd be most worried about the pipe work below myself. In my view there is way too little info about this kind of thing around on manufacturers sites. Brian
--
----- -