Depends on your plumbing :)
My bog never blocks and a drop of Domestos and the odd application of
bog cleaner keeps the insides good. But I installed it with a high flush
and a full 110mm pan connector.
Some others are rubbish - blocking all the time, kitchen drains that
cannot cope with coffee grounds and so on. Rubbish plumbing is the main
Our kitchen one blocked soon after we moved in. I suspect the PO's chip
fat. Sodium hydroxide fixed it.
It was blocked at the tail end of last week too. We have a pipe going to
an external gully. The gully was overflowing. The pipe from there to the
sewer is not very far underground, 30ft long, and not steeply sloping. I
think it just froze.
"FWIW several years ago there were oxygen based bleaches on the market, but they all disappeared."
I think chlorine free bleaches were a little volatile for a supermarket. I remember seeing swollen containers, and I imagine some might have exploded.
It is concentrated Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide) and has a strong
exothermic reaction when added to water. In this case the water in
the sink trap boiled when the Sodium Hydroxide was added producing
the caustic steam/spray. It wasn't reacting to anything other than
water. Caustic Soda is one of the few chemicals in domestic use where
all the little warning symbols really mean it. A drop in the eye can
cause irreversible damage. It will also mark stainless steel. It is
If you mean pour strong bleach in then add water this may well damage
the sink surface. Dilute bleach is fine as long as it isn't left to
stand in the sink. See
for some objective tests. Note also that "Stainless Steel" has many
variants and finishes - what doesn't mark one may well affect another.
Work for what? Dilute bleach is an effective anti microbial. It
isn't a particularly good cleaner..
Quite possibly, some plugs have a plated (metallic) finish and bleach
may affect these. The more concentrated the bleach the greater the
potential for damage. Caustic Soda will also cause damage. Most
concentrated bleach bottles warn against undiluted use on metals.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.