Don't leave neat bleach in a stainless steel sink

Perhaps I'm the only one that did not know about bleach and stainless steel incompatability, but I've now learned an expensive lesson. Just prior to going away for 2 weeks, I put a liberal dose of neat bleach in the kitchen stainless steel sink. On my return, I found that the bleach had eaten clean through the sink, leaving a 10mm x 5 mm hole through to the cupboard below. It also had eaten through the plug chain, which came apart in my hand as I pulled the plug out.

CRB

Reply to
crb

Are you sure it was stainless steel? It sounds more like a cheap plated job.

Reply to
<me9

dont feed the troll

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Stainless steel sinks :-)

Reply to
ben

Yes. It is (or was) the genuine article - stainless steel. I bought it at a reputable builder's merchants in Maidenhead quite a few years ago.

CRB

Reply to
crb

Well, I've never seen anything quite like that in a stainless steel sink. But I have seen pictures of quite substantial high alloy steel structures that have been eaten by stress corrosion cracking, caused by chloride.

Reply to
Newshound

The stainless steel sink now in my utility room has regularly been cleaned with neat bleach over the last 30 years and is still as solid and uncorroded as new.

Reply to
<me9

Some thick bleach uses salt as a thickener. Maybe the salt did it (if it happened)?

Reply to
dennis

Salt will eat holes in stainless steel.

Reply to
Ian_m

salt isnt a thickener

Reply to
bigcat

Cite a reference for the above statement please, surely anything that dissolves will thicken the liquid it is added to some degree and if enough is added will do so markedly.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Try mixing it with thin washing up liquid and then say that.

Reply to
dennis

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:30:54 +0100,it is alleged that "Ian_m" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Salt is also present in non-thickened bleach, they're usually a solution of NaClO (Sodium hypochlorite) which is unstable, and breaks down as follows: 2NaClO => 2NaCl + O2

Light will cause this breakdown. Thus what started out as 'sinkful of bleach' probably ended up as 'sinkful of dilute bleach and salt water'. Also this breakdown may well begin even before you get the bleach, thus it's already salty, *how* salty I don't know, I have no particular wish to taste it

Reply to
Chip

Hummm, we spill 100% twaddle caustic on stainless sometimes, never seen any holes, eats aluminium though.

Reply to
Badger

If you think back to school chemistry experiments you'll recall thats not so, at least not to any significant extent.

However I'll try dennis's suggestion with washing up liquid, and see what happens.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Well I've not noticed that sea water is noticeably thicker than fresh.

Dead Sea water (which is saturated) is a bit thicker about the same as the liquid in a tin of peaches.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

fresh.

Surely those two sentences contradict each other?....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It is in kitchen detergents. It's one reason why you shouldn't use washing up liquid to wash the car.

Reply to
Andy Dingley