Perhaps I'm the only one that did not know about bleach and stainless
steel incompatability, but I've now learned an expensive lesson. Just
prior to going away for 2 weeks, I put a liberal dose of neat bleach in
the kitchen stainless steel sink. On my return, I found that the
bleach had eaten clean through the sink, leaving a 10mm x 5 mm hole
through to the cupboard below. It also had eaten through the plug
chain, which came apart in my hand as I pulled the plug out.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:30:54 +0100,it is alleged that "Ian_m"
Salt is also present in non-thickened bleach, they're usually a
solution of NaClO (Sodium hypochlorite) which is unstable, and breaks
down as follows: 2NaClO => 2NaCl + O2
Light will cause this breakdown. Thus what started out as 'sinkful of
bleach' probably ended up as 'sinkful of dilute bleach and salt
water'. Also this breakdown may well begin even before you get the
bleach, thus it's already salty, *how* salty I don't know, I have no
particular wish to taste it<g>
The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those
which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.
If you think back to school chemistry experiments you'll recall thats
not so, at least not to any significant extent.
However I'll try dennis's suggestion with washing up liquid, and see
Well, I've never seen anything quite like that in a stainless steel sink.
But I have seen pictures of quite substantial high alloy steel structures
that have been eaten by stress corrosion cracking, caused by chloride.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.