Chlorine-drenched chicken on the way

+1 (for a change!)

AIUI the real concern is not that the chicken has been chlorine-washed

- if it tastes of chlorine then no-one here will buy it anyway - but that chlorine-washing in the US is necessary because of the appalling conditions in which many chickens are raised over there. But somehow 'chlorine-washing' has eclipsed that aspect and has itself become the bogey. There's nothing wrong with chlorine-washing per se. As both Harry and I have pointed out in the past, all our drinking water is 'chlorine-washed'.

It would be more sensible to impose import restrictions on all US chicken that has not been raised under the same standards as here in the UK.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I?d expect Jim to be happy to have some faeces with his chicken, Burt, but I?m surprised to see you?re so chipper about it:

Stephen Cole

A lot of the problem with food is that its turned into an industry and everyone expects stuff to be around all year round and of good quality. I have noticed even over the last three years or so that so called packaged ham slices is damp, tasteless and slimy a lot of the time. I don't think it does us much harm, but on the other hand its not ham, Jim not as we know it, and I suspect a lot of Chicken is much the same since the salmonella scare. Lettuce is a pointless vegetable in my view. What exactly is its purpose? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Your brain is too shit to realise that what the chlorine is covering up is what matters.

Reply to
Bob Eager

All the far-right walking-abortions that dived in to reply made the same crucial mistake of not actually reading what I wrote.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

Comrade Cole is also overlooking the chlorine-washing vegetables we already import from the EU.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It isnt covering anything up, its getting rid of the problem in all cases.

Reply to
Jake56

Not entirely. It is necessary in the USA because of a) the massive distances involved from 'farm' to plate and b) it gets *really* hot in large parts of the USA in summer and c) livestock welfare requiremnts are lower than those that we have forced UK farmers to adopt.

Provided it is clearly labelled then the public can choose. Remember we already import a lot of eggs from overseas and no-one is complaining about that.

Reply to
Andrew

and the injection of chlorinated water into meat that has been happening in the UK for many decades.

Reply to
alan_m

How many fruits and vegetables have been bred for class 1 appearance at the expense of taste and then often picked early, never ripens and are completely bland?

Reply to
alan_m

All the cheap tomatoes in packs of 6, grown in Holland and on sale in all the supermarkets. No taste at all.

Reply to
Andrew

I buy the ones grown in Kent and sold 'on the vine' and find them quite tasty. YMMV.

Reply to
The Other John

It's a vehicle for mayonnaise/salad cream.

Reply to
Max Demian

You drink swimming pool water regularly? Sprinkle washing powder on your chips? No accounting for taste.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why on earth would 'we' (the Tory government) do this? They want the cheapest possible food to be on sale here. So they can brag about it.

Their main support now is in the depressed old industrial areas where the poor will be glad of the cheapest anything. If a few farmers go to the wall, so what?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lidl do packs of cherry type tomatoes with 3 or 4 different varieties (and colours) in a pack which are quite flavoursome. They do however command a price premium.

Reply to
alan_m

Something that is SOP, related to this, is that trade agreements allow for a pair cof countries to each have inspectors in the other country. So if we are exporting product X to some foreign market, they would have inspectors here who will regularly police that the product is being made according to the standards agreed with at country (which may differ from those of another country we are also exporting X to). This allows for the exportd product to leave our factory and be imported at the far end without needing to be inspected at the border.

Reply to
Tim Streater
<Snip>

When did Harry say this?

Reply to
Fredxx

There is a considerable amount of money being spent in order to limit the chlorine put into tapwater. Never before has so much emphasis been put on turbidity reduction.

At one time in the UK, the only reason to worry about turbidity was to stop the customers moaning.

A bit like covid, what the eye cannot see is not seen as a threat to the mentally challenged.

Dont worry though morons, you will be able to dose up to the gills on THM's after Brexit.

Pity that the odd bits of the NHS that are left will have to go.

Oncology isn't cheap in the US.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp