cheapo air actuators and things pneumatic

I'd like to do some fiddling about with air valves/actuators etc (just for fun things like opening small doors, maybe some simple logic gates - who knows maybe a simple robot controlled from a PC! Anyone know where I can get some *cheap* kit to try things. Tubing, air-actuators - and of course a small compressor/ reservoir. I see Machine Mart has some, but is expensive as are new. Basically second had stuff if such is available. Any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
dave

fridge compressor plus gas bottle makes a fair air supply. The one issue with fridge compressors is they spit oil mist, so this needs to be collected and fed back in occasionally. Not difficult to arrange. Feed rate is low, but pressure capability is high: ensure you dont overstress the tank/pipes etc.

No idea on the rest, well I have but probably not that would be any use to you.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

fridge compressor plus gas bottle makes a fair air supply. The one issue with fridge compressors is they spit oil mist, so this needs to be collected and fed back in occasionally. Not difficult to arrange. Feed rate is low, but pressure capability is high: ensure you dont overstress the tank/pipes etc.

Some people have used a tyre as the reservoir, but pressure rating is much lower, ditto long term reliability.

No idea on the rest, well I have but probably not that would be any use to you.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

for actuators and solenoid operated valves

Reply to
Andy Hall

V. interesting site. Thanks

Reply to
dave

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

Lego do pneumatic cylinders, for very small scale stuff.

Some are single acting, some double. They also do tiny thumb operated pumps, change-over valves, piping, tee connectors, etc.

The prices are in US$ but many of the shops are actually in England and will happily take UK£.

Reply to
Guy King

RS Components do quite a lot of pneumatic stuff as well and you can download data sheets for most of it if you register an account. However, they do tend to be a bit more expensive.

Thorite will send you a catalogue and being a trade counter type place will give you a good price on a shopping list.

Here's another site with smaller stuff suitable for robotics

Andy Hall

you will find that model shops carry this sort of thing for rertractable undercarriages.

Spring air is one manufacturer - there are others.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher