cheap sheets of metal

Not many rats up here but our cat has had all those. Ours has had one stoat but not quite full grown, it was taken away so don't know if she would have eaten it.

Of the things she eats she normally consumes completly but does occasionally leave the stomach of a vole.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, the nasty tasting things are Shrews. Our cat will happily chomp through as many voles as she can catch, that can be approaching half a dozen/day in the summer. Shrews she'll still catch and play with for a bit but never actually eats. We take the moles off her as we know the local farmer puts poison out for them.

Cat, singular, and not a big cat either. Small side of "standard". Biggest thing she has had so far is sit on your hand hand sized baby rabbit, all that disappeared, fur, bones the lot. She does eye up the pheasants and sheep but hasn't yet tried to drag one through the cat flap. B-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We should be grateful that they haven't learned to hunt in packs ...

Cats, not sheep, obviously.

The odd sheep occasionally breaks into next door's garden, but I'm assuming that one has no kind of "droit de mouton" in such a case, and the sheep remains the property of the sheep owner. Unlike pheasant.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Ours regularly teams up with a neighbours cat and the two can be seen stalking the wildlife in the field at the back of then house.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Reply to
Adrian C

geraldthehamster wrote: snip

Talking about pheasant, I have been told if I run over a slow and stupid one, I can't pick it up as road kill, but the next person to come along can. It doesn't make sense to me.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

When he performs, he is very good.

Thanks for that

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That's how I understand it to be

That way, you're not going round killing them for food (poaching?), but the other person is making the best of the dead roadkill he has found

Reply to
geoff

I assume it boils down to not being able to eat something that you've killed yourself - but you can eat something that you've just "found"?

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Traffic police are very good at "finding" deer, as a butcher friend who lived next door to the cop-shop could testify.

Reply to
Ian White

Cant poach in a public right of way.

They are fair game.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, now, I've watched both our cats hunting the same mouse in our bedroom, and I think there's a fine but significant distinction between hunting together, and hunting at the same time.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Are you sure?

Clearly the way in question is a road but you are implying an extension to byways, bridleways and footpaths:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb