Charging dictation machine from USB mains charger

On 2017-02-16 14:15, Andy Burns wrote:

LOL :-)
Yes, there are dialects: Apple, Chinese, European...
--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.
On Thursday, 16 February 2017 14:23:08 UTC, Carlos E. R. wrote:

And daleks come from Skaro.... which is relivant if listening to a boring lecture on differnt dialects, your mind tends to drift into reality ;-)

doubt all you want. nearly all chargers are 1a or greater, so they *must* have some sort of firmware, even if it's a state machine.
only very old chargers are 500ma, or cheap shit which wouldn't be compliant anyway.

there aren't other tricks. sourcing more than 500ma requires conforming to the charging spec.
Carlos E. R. wrote:

There isn't really.

There isn't for 1A devices. There is for 2A devices: they must comply with fast/quick charging: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge For non-compliant devices the charger will give 1A max. Which, on second thought, would imply that Pamela could charge her digital dictator from a 2A charger.

Either your phone doesn't comply with the fast/quick charge standard, or you have to enable fast/quick charging. Check if your phone is on the compliant device list: https://www.qualcomm.com/documents/quick-charge-device-list
-p
Piet wrote:

Let's face it, pamela isn't going to accept anything less than a guarantee signed in blood by the person who designed the recorder, they they will personally buy her a new one if a 2A charger kills it.
On 17:15 16 Feb 2017, Andy Burns wrote:

Got to be as ultra-cautious as you say. I've already damaged two ?100+ Olympus voice recorders most probably by the way they were charged through a USB port.
The advice I've been getting in this discussion veered one way and then another. In one inspired moment afew days ago, I was persuaded by an interesting post (moments before someone immediately contradicted it) to just try the mains charger on my recorder. I'm happy to report that all seems well.
Thanks to all who helped.
I would have dismissed the assembled throng in this thread but you guys seem to be having such a good time discussing and arguing about it that I don't have the heart to spoil the fun. Carry on fellas. Don't mind me. :-)
pamela wrote:

USB is largely for consumer devices, consumers see USB plug, see USB socket and (rightly) think that belongs in there; it's up to the designers to ensure that it works, or that at worst it does no harm, USB wouldn't have lasted long if it was otherwise.

in general, sure, as long as one stays away from noname crap.
nospam wrote:

Now with USB type C, it's still immature and there are horror stories, e.g. where you can plug a device to a charger, they negotiate a higher voltage than the standard 5V, you unplug the first device, plug in another device and the new device is not prepared for a higher voltage but the charger doesn't immediately drop back to 5V when it sees the unplug happen.

probably not.

as it should be.
On 2017-02-16 18:06, Piet wrote:

My Motorola phone brochure said it needs a Fast Motorola Charger.
--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.
On 2/16/2017 1:48 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

My Motorola phone came with ONLY a fast charger. But I seldom need a fast charger. I charge it overnight with a standard .5A charger and it's topped up fine in the morning. So I think you can probably use most any standard charger if you want to. Give it a try.
On 2017-02-16 23:37, AL wrote:

Of course, I use a standard charger. In fact, one with eight mouths so that I charge all my gadgets while I sleep, with less cables than if using their original chargers.
The charger on the box was also standard, with two sockets. But it said that plugging two devices they would charge at half speed... And the brochure said the fast charger had to be bought separately.
Apparently Motorola does not want to give us all a fast charger. Nor that I need it, but I was curious to see/try it.
--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.
On 2/16/2017 4:08 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Perhaps they only come with the premium models. (Droid Turbo 2 @ US$630).

My fast charger is kind of a pain to use. The relatively short cable is hard wired to the charger. But very handy when needed. It does bring the phone to full charge quickly and (surprising to me) doesn't get the phone all that hot.
AL wrote:

So did my Samsung phone.

Occasionally I need the fast charger. If I'm not in a hurry I plug it into a USB port of one of my PC's. Both of them have a couple of USB ports that are powered even if the PC is powered off. A quick test shows that they can deliver 500 mA in that state. Might be interesting for Pamela too.
-p
Piet wrote:

I prefer USB port charging because the phone stays cooler than with fast charging. But yeah, "Some Like It Hot". ;-)
-p
On 16-Feb-17 7:01 AM, nospam wrote:

Mac keyboard shift key not working?
On 2017-02-16 19:03, woo wrote:

No Mac here. Why do you say that?
--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 18:03:34 +0000, woo wrote:

e. e. cummings complex.

On 02/17/2017 12:02 AM, tlvp wrote:

buffalo bill's keyboard is defunct.
--
Cheers, Bev
"If you watch TV news, you know less about the world than