Charging dictation machine from USB mains charger

in general, sure, as long as one stays away from noname crap.

Reply to
nospam

Now with USB type C, it's still immature and there are horror stories, e.g. where you can plug a device to a charger, they negotiate a higher voltage than the standard 5V, you unplug the first device, plug in another device and the new device is not prepared for a higher voltage but the charger doesn't immediately drop back to 5V when it sees the unplug happen.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My Motorola phone brochure said it needs a Fast Motorola Charger.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

No Mac here. Why do you say that?

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

Looks like most are not compliant then. There is no sensible reason not to allow 500mA through.

No, because it's shuts off above 500mA.

Then the port powering the hub would exceed 500mA and shut off, and the user would wise up and buy a powered hub.

When someone buys a computer, the most they will look for is a windows logo, nothing else.

We probably have something similar here, but nobody pays any attention to it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Says that Apple uses its own method for USB chargers, and describes it with schematics.

That there are/were Apple standards, Chinese standards, and European standards, at least when they wrote the article.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

My Motorola phone came with ONLY a fast charger. But I seldom need a fast charger. I charge it overnight with a standard .5A charger and it's topped up fine in the morning. So I think you can probably use most any standard charger if you want to. Give it a try.

Reply to
AL

Of course, I use a standard charger. In fact, one with eight mouths so that I charge all my gadgets while I sleep, with less cables than if using their original chargers.

The charger on the box was also standard, with two sockets. But it said that plugging two devices they would charge at half speed... And the brochure said the fast charger had to be bought separately.

Apparently Motorola does not want to give us all a fast charger. Nor that I need it, but I was curious to see/try it.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

Perhaps they only come with the premium models. (Droid Turbo 2 @ US$630).

My fast charger is kind of a pain to use. The relatively short cable is hard wired to the charger. But very handy when needed. It does bring the phone to full charge quickly and (surprising to me) doesn't get the phone all that hot.

Reply to
AL

e. e. cummings complex.

Reply to
tlvp

No. We're talking about a device that plugs into a mains outlet and has a USB A connector from which power is drawn to charge a device.

"What's in a name? That what we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" Shakespeare

-p

Reply to
Piet

So did my Samsung phone.

Occasionally I need the fast charger. If I'm not in a hurry I plug it into a USB port of one of my PC's. Both of them have a couple of USB ports that are powered even if the PC is powered off. A quick test shows that they can deliver

500 mA in that state. Might be interesting for Pamela too.

-p

Reply to
Piet

Or it can be used to power a Raspberry Pi - which doesn't have a battery and, so, doesn't need charging.

Reply to
charles

If you like nitpicking: It can also be used to light an led light which doesn't have a battery and, so, doesn't need charging. Neither this nor the RP have anything to do though with the subject of this thread.

-p

Reply to
Piet

I prefer USB port charging because the phone stays cooler than with fast charging. But yeah, "Some Like It Hot". ;-)

-p

Reply to
Piet

I use one to power a fan that cools my laptop. :-P

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

Thanks for demonstrating my point.

Reply to