Chapel Conversion

I'm considering buying an old chapel to renovate, it would need a mezzanine floor and ultimately would move from a two room building to a two bed two living room home. Has anyone experience of chapel conversions who coudl throw in an idea of total likely cost? many thanks

Reply to
Jon Sharp

I'm pretty sure that a Chapel conversion was featured in a recent series of the BBC's Grand Designs programme - might be worth a Google...

As I recall the major costs associated with the one they covered were the 'unforseen' things - an amount of underpinning to the walls, and a fair bit of structural stuff with cracks opening up in old stonework.

It did look very nice when completed - but (as ususla in these programmes) went well over-budget - but they did have a very 'arty' architech who seemed to spend much of his lief on a different planet !

I guess the other thing to look out for is the 'listed building' status - with all the associated oncost in using traditional / matching materials...?

Regards Adrian Suffolk UK

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Check out

things always cost significantly more than new build.

If lts listed, materials will be the least of your worries.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I purchased an old farmhouse / barn, and am rebuilding the barn, for extra living space.

I would recommend you find a local architect, who has lots of experience with your type of building, then invite him round, whih his sketch book, and pay him for 2 hours of his time. You are looking at about a hundred quid bill, which is much less than a survey, and worth much more to you.

A survey will only look at the current building, you need to look at the improved building.

Also have an informal chat with planning (get vendors permission first) so you know whay you can / can't do to this building.

Many things will effect cost, for me, location is an expence, as everying I buy is deliverd half a mile away, which is fun when it wet concrete, or 8*4m sheets of steel .....

If you are in N.Wales I can recommend my guy .......

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper