Chair mats

Several years ago I bought some 'chair mats' - plastic thingies that sit on a carpet and protect the carpet from the wheels of office chairs. I had two of them for my home office. Nasty spikey things that scratch you until embedded in a carpet. Got them from Viking and they were sold as 'lifetime guarantee - will not crack". Eighteen months later they had both developed cracks, but good to their word Viking replaced them FOC. A further 18 months down the line the new ones also cracked and again they replaced them. A couple of days ago, realising that again they had cracked and irritated by even more email spam from Viking I was reminded to ring them up and get some more. First call was totally unhelpful and eventually manged to lose me in their telephone system. Second call elicited the response that 'lifetime guarantee' was limited to five years !!! Assuring the girl that I intended to live for much more than a further five years I finally got the promise of a call back from a manager who eventually agreed to replace them foc.

So, am I being totally anal in holding them to their original 'lifetime guarantee' which I interpret as MY lifetime ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No.

Reply to
EricP

Careful. They might come round & bump you off :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I asked one of our suppliers what exactly we were offering customers when we advertised their lifetime guarantee. They pointed to the small print, which says that the guarantee is for five years, which is considered to be the lifetime of the product. Perhaps that is a standard condition.

I doubt that any Court would view it as reasonable to expect that the guarantee was for the lifetime of the customer, although the period that constituted the lifetime of the product might be open to dispute..

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Hi,

Are they polycarbonate ones? Where are they cracking, edge, middle?

You should be able to get a refund from them if they're not fit for purpose.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C