chainsaw

But only as hard as you want to make it? I mean with the right pitched and set blade in the right length saw with the job at the right height it can be quite 'light' work? [1]

Well, it *will* also come from the cutting (see above and a bit of light aerobic work, as long as you don't overdo it <g>) and I think it would be a good plan to not spend any prolonged time on any one thing (however inefficient that might sound).

Cut a chog off, split it, stack it etc. With a chainsaw you might be inclined to cut a heap of chogs, then split / stack them all?

Cheers, T i m

[1] I agree that you can 'just' exercise some muscles, eg, by walking or cycling and that's why I also like rowing. And even when I was rowing fairly regularly, drawing my recurve (archery) bow seemed to use yet another set of muscles (I was reminded the next day ...). ;-)
Reply to
T i m

It does help us when we can come in from the garden not stinking of petrol exhaust fumes!

Reply to
John Rumm

3-4 hours of intensive use is actually fairly hard going IME!

Yup, I have often "injured" myself with a chainsaw - not in any spectacularly messy way, but typically some kind of stress injury (stiff neck, tennis elbow, aching shoulder etc) resulting from holding the thing in an awkward pose for too long.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, or big FO circular saws. But chainsaws have the advantage of only needing some kind of straight edge (e.g. a section of ali ladder) and a carriage of some sort to mill timber, whereas a bandsaw mill is a fairly elaborate bit of it. So you can mill stuff for an investment of 100's with a chainsaw rather than many 1000's on a proper mill.

Reply to
John Rumm

It does help you forget, yes. ;-)

It used to be similar when non-smokers had been to a smokers place and then came here and it was to me like they had been smoking themselves (the level of smell on their clothes). ;-(

The only person who ever smoked in here was the Ex wife's Dad, who was one of those 'Oh, you will never stop him ...' type. [1] I didn't need (or particularly want) to, I just banned him from here, with support from my Mrs. ;-)

I don't seem to smell straight tobacco when out and about much these days, just weed (which is far more aromatic). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Similar to 'Fred', smoking at monthly bike meet held in the back room of a restaurant / bar on the strict understanding that it was a no smoking *venue*. It seems the regulars were so used to 'Fred' risking the event for everyone they had 'forgotten' to keep chucking him out.

The first time we left the organisers contacted us and after apologising profusely (it *was* a no-smoking event and they *should* have been policing it on behalf of all those who were respecting the rules), asked us to give them a second chance. We did, same thing happened so never again.

Reply to
T i m

If you are after new - take a look at Ego cordless ... with massive 56V power packs they offer a lot of cutting time

rick

This is how they get their snowblower battery pack, onto the chainsaw. Via belt you wear, and a cord. That's the 7.5Ah pack. Those packs cost as much or more than a chainsaw. Even the charger for the 7.5Ah pack is expensive (maybe 1/3rd the price of the battery pack).

There's an example of the pack here. Cells exposed at 2:34.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yep .. I have 2 of the 56V 5Ah packs ... they aren't cheap but use across a number of tools so common battery & charger

Reply to
rick