chainsaw

all my saws have been 2 stroke power to weight, mate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I know that. That said, Sthil do make 4-stroke strimmers/brush cutters (that run on two stroke fuel) so not impossible, but I couldn?t find any Ryobi ones. A quick search suggests that other brands *do* exist.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They have almost been outlawed foe new production.

Reply to
Chris Green

It's not just power to weight ration, lubrication of a 2-stroke is by the oil in the fuel. It's more difficult with a 4-stroke, you have to make certain somehow that oil get's distributed around the engine regardless of its orientation.

Most small 'domestic' petrol strimmers and similar machines are still

2-stroke, more for the lubrication issue than weight I think.
Reply to
Chris Green

I think I missed that one - my "cross post" filter may have killed it. Hang on, let's google it...

Yeah, well perhaps he has not tried a pro level 36V cordless tool! :-) Plenty of head to head comparisons between petrol and battery chainsaws on youtube.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup same here - corded would be too much of a PITA.

I use a 14" Makita 45cc petrol saw, and a 10" pruner saw on the end of my Stilh power head, however I am toying with getting a "top handled" saw for safer ladder / platform work - going 36V for that seems like an obvious choice.

(biggest revelation in chainsaw performance was buying a cheapo electric chain sharpener though)

Reply to
John Rumm

Wrong oil/petrol mix

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Ha! Thousands of power tool inspectors swooping on decent hardworking people.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

My strimmer is four stroke. Quiet, but a bit heavy.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

So far I've gone the three chains for £24 route, and only managed to dull one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I once edited a longish document* that was concerned with signal to noise ratio, and the guy had put 'ration' every time.

*a report on TV interference caused by a tower in Rugby, in case anyone's interested.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Maybe 20"

No.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I'd worked myself nearly to death by the time I was 62. I don't want to finish the job on anything so futile as doing the work of a machine.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Got a 36V Bosch drill. Very good. Better than its 24V predecessor.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

My son-in-law's chainsaw was cutting very badly.Ten minutes with my 12V sharpener and he couldn't believe the difference.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

When we moved into our new house, we found that the previous owners had gone a bit OTT with vigorously spreading conifers around the garden. I had to prune or even cut down some of them. Having tried a bow saw (which the previous people left) and a tenon saw, both of which kept binding in the wood, I bought a battery-powered chainsaw. I know which of those three I'd prefer to use ;-)

Reply to
NY

That's interesting. Which product?

Although manual sharpening is a bit of a fiddle, I usually find that three to five strokes of the round file per tooth is all you need, without bothering with the other file. So it really does not take long for a ten inch bar.

Reply to
newshound

I find bow saws pretty hard work, but the folding curved pruning saws are pretty fast and easy at the two inch level. It's also interesting to find that a decent machete will cut 20mm in one cut for some timbers. (This is not for "neat" pruning of course, but I sometimes have to cut back rough scrub as it encroaches on my horse paddock)

Reply to
newshound

Then I would certainly consider a AKE 30 LI.

I don't know if they do a longer model, but it is an Oregon chain and I suspect that longer Oregon bars would also fit.

Reply to
newshound
<snip>

If they are sharp enough and with the right blade for the job, I have found them to be very effective. Ok, still not as 'easy' as a chainsaw but a lot quieter, cheaper and still work straight away after being used underwater. ;-)

I've watched daughter use her 'Silky' on some limbs that looked like they would be way too big / hard work for such a small saw but I was always very surprised. Few seconds of undercut then a couple more on top and down it went.

I just dropped the saw onto my hand once and it *was* very very sharp. ;-(

We had one and did use it for those sorts of things but the 'brushcutter' (steel) blade on the, erm, brushcutter worked even better or even a chainsaw for the heavier bits.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m