chainsaw

Why should you do any work if your wife works? Use her pay to get a man in.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

No, you sharpen with the chain on the machine.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Some chainsaws you can pull the blade round by hand, dead easy.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I wouldn't be without one of these.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Ha! Bill

Reply to
williamwright

?? you can move the chain without using the motor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which one though? ;-)

I have the Stihl 2 in 1 file. Seems to do a pretty good job.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Petrol ones have a centrifugal clutch - so there is no need to pull the engine at the same time as the chain.

Reply to
John Rumm

IME, its easier than doing it off the saw when using a hand file (unless you have a vice or bench mounted cradle to hold the chain)

No need to run the saw at all - just mark the first tooth, pull the chain along (with gloves) to the next tooth with the same orientation, rinse and repeat until back to the start. Now repeat again for all the teeth angled in the other direction.

Yup you soon accumulate a mass of oily wood gunk otherwise :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

That's fairly long - will need something on mid range power level to drive it. Plenty more choice about if you can cope with 40cm/18"

e.g.

I juts ordered a DUC306Z 12"/30cm 36V top handled saw, so will have to see how that compares to my petrol one :-)

Reply to
John Rumm
<snip>

We had a cheap one of those (Lidl type pole pruner) and it was handy (while it lasted). ;-)

Understood. The pole needs to be made of a carbon fibre tube so that it's both stiff and light as the shape and weight of the saw itself should do most the work?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Maybe it's different with an electric (battery) chainsaw, which mine is. If I grabbed hold of the teeth to pull the chain round, I think I'd rip holes in my fingers before the chain moved at all. I wonder whether there is a reduction gear between the motor and the chain sprocket which makes it very difficult to drive it "in reverse" by pulling on the chain.

When the chain has got embedded in the wood (which happens occasionally), it takes a lot of effort to pull the blade back to unwind the chain from the notch that it's cut so far, to free the teeth. So there's definitely not a freewheel action.

Reply to
NY

On my mains electric chainsaws you certainly can pull the chain round by hand, safer if you use a gloved hand, but quite doable. This is on a very old B&D, and a newer Makita.

Reply to
Chris Green

The ones I have had from Lidl and other places have been made from hardened carbon steel which stay sharp but can crack if abused. They cut on the push and pull stroke but it is best to put most force into the pull, to reduce bending.

I've had well-used ones break (perhaps from fatigue cracks) before they have lost their sharpness significantly.

Reply to
newshound

+1. Mark the first tooth sharpened with a permanent marker. I usually grip the handle in a workmate so that the bar is presented at a convenient height.

IIRC the chain pulls round easily enough on my petrol chainsaw because the centrifugal clutch is disengaged.

Reply to
newshound

I have the Stihl file too, which I find very good. I'm still on my first files (although I admit I don't do a vast amount of cutting). The first choice electric one seems to be cutting square to the chain, which is wrong.

Reply to
newshound

The dremel one looks like you can sharpen while leaving the chain on, but swapping chains is tool-less and quick on mine, so resharpening at home in downtime might be better ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mine is a three section Ali pole - not that heavy in itself... The saw is not too bad. The drawstring cutoff head however is quite a bit heavier.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe that's still cheap to source in India / China. ;-)

Check.

Maybe they have gone the other way then, making them too hard or hardening them throughout, rather than case hardening them?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It could well be wrong but chains sharpened for ripping can be square.

Reply to
AJH