CH Doesn't Fire Up

Hi

Turned on the Central Heating for the 1st time last night & nothing happens, The bolier doesn't fire up and nor does the pump. I know the boiler's fine as the hot water works ok - any suggestions as where to start ? I was thinking the Thermostat - It clicks as you move the temperature up past ambient could it be anything else ?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Burrows

oil or gas?

Reply to
Staffbull

I'm assuming that it's a fully pumped system with a conventional (not combi) boiler, which is supposed to heat both the HW and the CH, and that it has one or more motorised valves to direct the water to the right place. Is this correct?

If so, you have a problem either a valve or with the room thermostat which drives it. Assuming that the HW demand is already satisfied, the 2-port (S-Plan) or 3-port (Y-Plan) valve needs to motor to the CH position before an internal switch closes and turns on the boiler and pump.

If a motorised valve isn't exercised for several months, it can easily seize up - which is what has most likely happened.

Tell us a bit more about what type of system you have.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's a gas fired sytem - cold water tank, hot water tank, Spartan recovery tank ? and a boiler on the wall.

The motorised valve doesn't move when I switch on the CH - HW works just fine

Jim

Reply to
Jim Burrows

Sorry, I was looking for slightly more than that. Is there just one motorised valve? Does it have 3 water connections - an inlet coming from the pump, and 2 outlets - one going to the HW cylinder and the other to the CH radiators? When the HW is heating up, does the pump run?

Assuming it's a fully pumped system (still awaiting confirmation of that!) the valve certainly *should* move when the heating is turned on if it has previously been in HW-only mode. You should be able to remove the actuator (the electrical bit) from the valve by undoing a couple of screws (but don't disconnect the wires). See whether the socket in the actuator which fits over the shaft of the 'wet' part of the valve rotates when you turn the heating on. If it *does*, it means that the valve is seized. You should be able to rotate the shaft of the valve to and fro by gripping it between finger and thumb. If you can't, see if you can free it with a pair of pliers. Once it moves freely, fix the actuator back on, and all should be well. If you *can't* free the valve, it will have to be replaced.

If the actuator *doesn't* move when detached from the valve, it's either got a duff motor or it's not receiving a signal from the room thermostat. You'd need to use a mains voltmeter, or a multimeter on its 250vAC range to find out which.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Got home tonight & the place is like a sauna - looks like a couple of cycles of the timer has freed up whatever was stuck.

Thanks for all the advice

Jim

Reply to
Jim Burrows