Central heating with no heating controls

My mother had her central eating boiler replaced a couple of months ago, and I went up to see her for the first time last week (I know, I know, but I do phone her every week). I was amazed at what has been installed.

The original system dated from the 1970s, with no room thermostats. TRVs were added later to all radiators. The new boiler has been installed, but there is no by-pass circuit, much less a valve or flow switch, so one radiator must be left on permanently. The only effective control over heat is the boiler thermostat. I don't know whether the system had a by-pass circuit before. Could there have been a flow switch in the old boiler?

Putting aside the question of complying with the Building Regulations (which it doesn't), how dangerous is it to have a heating circuit entirely controlled by TRVs with no by-pass? I tried closing all the TRVs, but the boiler continued firing and I could hear the pump beginning to strain. What would happen if i had let this continue, or my mother (who's nearly 80, and a bit forgetful) decides to lower the only open TRV?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I don't think it will actually explode - but it's extremely bad practice. The worst that will happen is that the boiler will overheat, its overheat stat will trip, and your mother will have no heating. The pump will also get a bit frenzied - but may be able to run in a stalled condition without coming to any actual harm.

Does the boiler also heat the hot water? Is this the same system which you mentioned in your earlier thread about not having a room stat?

Reply to
Set Square

What sort of boiler is it, some ahve bypass vlaves fitted as standard.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:47:16 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Set Square" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

It is, yes. It also heats the hot water, which has a cylinder stat.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:51:08 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "Stephen Dawson" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

It's an Ideal Classic. The installation guide says that a by-pass circuit or by-pass valve must be fitted, which implies that there isn't one already. Would a Thorn boiler of the 1970's have had an integral by-pass or flow switch?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Pumps run fine in stalled water, in fact they run like that easier than with flow. A little oddity of centrifugal pumps. Same with cylinder vacs which use the same basic concept of pump: block the tube and the motor speed increases.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I was about to respond to your earlier posts and say 'it depends on the boiler'. In this case if the makes say it needs a bypass that's what it needs.

As for the previous installation: It would be have been noteworthy to have had a flow switch. It could conceivably have had a bypass if it had had S-plan controls or equiv. However with an installation of that period it is much more likely that it used the HW cylinder coil as the bypass and it always heated the HW when the CH was on.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It was illegal to install the new boiler in that manner. The heating controls must be brought up to modern Part L1 standards when a boiler is replaced.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle