Central heating upgrade

The claim being debated here is that *some* cast iron exchnager boiler owners would do better to renew their boiler.

NT

Reply to
NT

so you dont have the data.

rather beside the point. If you think that your use being above average implies that everyone else with above average use will have the same costs & payback as you would, then you'd make a great politician - but a clueless bean counter.

NT

Reply to
NT

Snipping the half mile of repetition is standard usenet practice. ITs called netiquette. Is this all you've got left?

NT

Reply to
NT

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

I don't know whether the 80% quoted is correct or not but coming from Dribble it is highly likely that he has just plucked it out of thin air in his usual fashion.

Some of us have long since paid off our mortgages and at the other extreme are those in negative equity who may well have a totally negative net worth. We all have roofs over our heads.

The fact remains that some people considering a boiler replacement will need to borrow to finance the operation just as many people who expend similar sums on secondhand cars do. That neither action is sensible if the item to be replaced is in good working order doesn't seem to bother those who must have the latest fashion they think they can afford. Such people can be relied on never to have much in the way of savings.

Reply to
Roger

indeed... we are talking here about what happens when the boiler isnt firing

not even a bit. Most of the efficiency difference is not due to latent heat thats lost to outdoors after firing ceases. All these posts and you still havent grasped whats being claimed.

NT

Reply to
NT

You reach these conclusions based on not even getting the basic facts right.

no, I didnt. But your calculations only addressed that.

yet you continue

NT

Reply to
NT

Indeed. Hence my calcs made it easy to compare ROI with different figures for savers & borrowers. Yours built one figure in, making it only usful for people with one particulr capital cost.

Savings at 10%pa? Do tell us where. Your figure was borrowing cost, and you couldnt have said so more plainly.

they might matter, but they dont tell us what the numbers are for any one given system. Perhaps you're a labour politican.

NT

Reply to
NT

recovery of latent heat is *the* positive aspect of condensing boilers

NT

Reply to
NT

Not his fault - nasty experience with Bill and Ben judging by his responses.

Reply to
PeterC

The message

from NT contains these words:

Funnily enough it is the same 'it' that immediately precedes my 'Yes' above.

In the mouth of the tube, not along it for any significant distance if the far end is sealed. All you get further down the tube are slight fluctuations in pressure which are not driving anything anywhere.

You could of course rely on the random movement of the air molecules to eventually clear all the original contents of the combustion chamber but I think you would find that the time scale for that is weeks, if not months or years. Would fit your claim to "low exchange of internal with external air" though.

Reply to
Roger

The bastards! Or was it Weed?

Reply to
Clot

The message

from NT contains these words:

What a non sequitur. The 'most' you said you didn't say is still there in the text above, plain as a pikestaff.

And just for the record my remark you took issue with concerned replacing a boiler in good working order. I would have no qualms recommending the replacement of a faulty boiler even if it meant borrowing the cost.

Reply to
Roger

The message from NT contains these words:

If you twist any further you will be in danger of disappearing up your own arse.

Reply to
Roger

The message

from NT contains these words:

Look in a mirror you ignorant oaf.

Reply to
Roger

The message from NT contains these words:

So you are back to square one - flatly denying that exchanger heat is transfered indoors when the boiler isn't firing.

Talk about shifting the goalpost. You have just moved onto a new playing field.

Seems to me that you are in the same camp as Dribble in not knowing what latent heat is. Non condensing boilers have no opportunity to recover the latent heat in the flue gases and even condensing boilers will have some small difficulty if they are not firing.

And I was arguing against the notion that if a boiler has a cast iron heat exchanger it should be junked regardless of age.

Reply to
Roger

The message from NT contains these words:

Liar.

Because you have turned from an ignorant argumentative sod to an out and out liar.

You stop telling lies about what I have posted and I will stop responding.

Reply to
Roger

The message

from NT contains these words:

Look at the calculation again you stupid fool. I used 3%. The reference to 10% was to follow up the second part of my original statement - that replacing a boiler in good working order shouldn't be contemplated if the cost had to be borrowed.

Reply to
Roger

The message

from NT contains these words:

Stupid bugger taking things out of context. Of course recovery of latent heat is the positive aspect of condensing boilers.

The question was what is the return temperature to recover all of the latent heat and the answer to that is the less than positive aspect.

Reply to
Roger

Dribble works part time,when the meds kick in, shifting boxes in a big builders merchants. He spends his spare time on the loo reading product brochures.

When he isn't being unspeakable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well somewhat under 100C..presumably. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher