Central Heater: water constantly running

Hi All

I've got a problem with my central heating/ hot water.

It's a setup that I imagine is fairly common to newish houses, gas boiler in the kitchen and thermal store upstairs (well - it was moved in to the loft a few months ago)

I can hear water running through the system constantly -24x7- and I am at somewhat of a loss. I've just turned down the speed of the pumps which has quietened it down but I think that's just masking it?

The central heating side of it is turned off. The boiler fires every 23 mins or so then goes for a few minutes before shutting down , I assume to keep the water hot.

A quick googles suggest something about excess hot water being pumped through the radiators.

Everything else appears OK. When the system was moved, it was 'simply' a case of cutting pipes and extending them to fit the new position in the loft. I was prepared perhaps for a little extra noise when system is on, but not this.. could this have any bearing on it?

Any clues people?

Reply to
Colin Chaplin

Complete guess but possibly with the higher position of the cylinder the expansion pipe more readily vents to the tank, therefore that water is not there after contraction and the header cistern fills the system and refils itself from the mains, which is what you can hear?

When you say 24x7 do you mean whilst the heating is on, otherwise my guess will be wrong.

Reply to
visionset

I don't think the heatings been on since it's been moved, so the answer to your question is no

Bizarely, the noise of moving water is most noticable in the toilet - the cupboard containing the store was immediately next door, so the pipes now extend through the roof. As all the 6 or so pipes are in close proximity, it's hard to tell which one contains the running water.

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
Colin Chaplin

it seems that there is also air in the pipes with the water as water is not easy to ear on its own, are there any leaks, has the system been bled ? could there be an airlock somewhere?

Reply to
Gav

Use a long /large screwdriver as a stethoscope , handle to the ear, and driver blade on each pipe in turn to localise which one.

Reply to
N Cook

You need to do a check list...

Does is happen if you turn off the HW on the programmer? Do any of your radiators get hot when the boiler keeps firing for the CH? Get someone to turn off the HW and see if the motorized zone valve operates. Do the above for the CH.

If you've had things moved, then it may be a wiring problem, if that was tampered with. Also, system components can pack up if they are disturbed after months/years of use.

Check the Cylinder Stat, any MCVs and the programmer.

Something is telling the HW to keep circulating through the system. The way this works is that the Cylinder Stat tells the programmer if the water in the cylinder needs heating, if the programmer is in HW "on" mode, then an MCV directs water through the cylinder, the pump starts and the boiler ignites (at roughly the same time with a number of checks performed). Thus, the new 'circuit' transfers water from boiler to cylinder (in a loop) where thermal exchange heats the water in the cylinder.

Is your water (from your taps) very hot? I'd be looking at the Cylinder stat first, then the MCV(s) then the programmer.

Hope this helps you.

rgds, deano.

Reply to
deano

Also check for airlocks. Bleed the boiler and the pump. Were any inverted loops created in the loft when the cylinder was relocated?

d.

Reply to
deano