Cementing in a single brick

What is the knack for cementing in a single brick. When I do this all I seem to manage to do is push all the cement into the void behind.I want to put plastic airbricks inplace of the terracotta ones so don't want to block them up with the cement falling behind it.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

If the gap is fairly tight then it's much easier, if the gaps are big then it's not so easy, so if the plastic vents are smaller than the clay ones, try to leave the existing mortar in place.

put a fairly deep bed of mortar at the bottom, leaving a much smaller gap at the top, also, smear some mortar up the sides of the opening, but not too much. Then put some mortar on top and sides of the new vent and offer it up to the hole, keeping it on top of the deep bed at the bottom, then work it downwards into the mortar until top and bottom beds are fairly equal and then point up as normal. Use plasticiser in your mortar and don't have it too wet - it should be dry enough that you can make a tight ball of it with your hands

Reply to
Phil L

As above but left the brick in on a trowel at the bottom,

Reply to
Kipper at sea

You shouldn't be using cement, you should be using mortar, one part cement to four parts sand should suffice.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I was going to type mortar but then wasn't sure if it was mortor and couldn't be bothered to reach for the dictionary so typed cement. I think a mortor goes bang. Having now seen mortor it is obviously mortar, but I'm not a builder so never use the word, except here.

Reply to
Zen83237