ceiling fan installation - weight and joist size

I've just bought a ceiling fan by post, and wasn't aware of the weight of the thing. I'm wondering if the ceiling joists are up to holding it. The fan is about 14kg; the ceiling joists are an odd size, slightly under 4" by 1 1/2". The whole lot appears to be designed to be suspended from the joist by just 2 screws.

Should I not even attempt this? Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

Reply to
Mike Scott

The message from Mike Scott contains these words:

Considering how much weight I've got in my loft on the same size joists I don't reckon you've got anything to worry about.

For a start, do you ever walk in the loft? If so you must be putting more load than that on the joists as you walk about.

Reply to
Guy King

Quite so. I've seen 3' fans on this joist size without any problem.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

About 2 people per year are killed in the US by these things falling down when operating.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh no - how awful!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

Bet it doesn't say what the failure mode is though.

Reply to
Guy King

The fan or the people? ;-)

There were no details -- it was the last item on a list of deaths caused by electrical installations in the US, which I found when searching for such statistics a while back.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

_Is_ it an electrical installation? Or a pneumatic installation? The fact that they are powered by electricity is really irrelevant in view of their mass and mechanical motion!

:-)

There used to be rules regarding ceiling fans in commercial premises, such as that they had to be fastened to joists using studding (screwed rods) rather than woodscrews.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Neighbour asked Spouse to fit a ceiling fan in his sitting room the other day.

Spouse was appalled at the design of the thing, only small wood screws to fix it and electrical connection was to the ceiling light wiring. Because of its position there were no nearby joists to screw the fan to and he had to screw to laths - although he did use longer ones with bolts to try to get it more stable. Spouse told Neighbour that he didn't think it would be safe, Neighbour insisted that he needed it. Spouse told Neighbour that he wouldn't be responsible if it fell down, Neighbour said it wouldn't fall down, it was a 'good make'. Spouse said if it came down while it was moving it could cause a lot of damage. Neighbour said it wouldn't.

We wouldn't have one in any case but certainly not of that design.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

_Please_ don't tell Prescott!

Reply to
Tournifreak

====================== Not when he's standing under one, anyway.

Cic.

Cicero

I wonder how many people are killed by garish christmas lights on the outside of their houses ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, just seat him under one and hope.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I wish ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

125,000,000 to 1 I like thoes odds.
Reply to
marvelus

surely those are more likely to come undone than woodscrews? 3" screws should be very secure.

thats dodgy, they need to be securely mounted to either a joist or a noggin, and yes the fitter would be held responsible. Laths are insecure.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not if you peen over the ends of the studding after fitting the nuts.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Whoever said 3" screws was not reading. I said "very small" - which is not

3".

Spouse is very careful and capable. As I said, there were no joist within reach. He did the best he could.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from Frank Erskine contains these words:

Reply to
Guy King