Cavity wall mess

Surely the inside was a lot of hassle to repair?

Wouldn't it be easier to come to an arrangement with your neighbour to get them done simultaneously?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Yes I saw the stuff. The guy dropped a sack of it and the whole culdesac was winter. Snow everywhere.

But if I go in my loft and look at the top of the wall, I can see a green(?) dried foam.

But these are EXIT holes. It's pumped in through a much larger (7 inch diameter?) hole.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I've heard an Irishman say that. I call it gravel, and so do all my Scottish friends and neighbours.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

It needed decorating -so no hassle.

Indeed, and that is a good idea if both house owners agree to do this. I am sure the owner of the council flats you mentioned can arrange for this to happen.

My parents holiday apartment is the middle floor of 3 apartments. All three neighbours vertically needed to have it done at the same time and they all came to an agreement. The neighbours at the side did not need consulting in this case as there was a fire break between the neighbouring side apartments.

Reply to
ARW

What, every room?

The council owns them, I doubt the tenants have a say in the matter. They are doing all 4 flats in each building together.

I guess in a flat, a lot of your walls and ceilings are very well insulated. An entire room full of it. And if your neighbour likes a warmer house than you, you get free heat.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Cock. I watched them do it on my house. It's pumped in through each of many holes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No it isn't. I watched them do it to a council flat. The pump has a huge thick pipe the diameter of tumble drier hose.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Yes. I had just rewired the place.

Reply to
ARW

Seems like a hell of an effort. What was wrong with the old wiring?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Uncle Peter scribbled...

It's not the size of the pipe that matters, it's the nozzel.

Reply to
Jabba

Foam goes in through a small pipe and expands inside the cavity, and fibre or beads go in through a bigger one because they don't, surely?

FWIW, my house had a *lot* of small holes and no big ones visible, so it's probably foam insulation.

Reply to
John Williamson

I very much doubt they fill it with a big one then little ones too.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I've never heard it called THAT before! [crosses legs]

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I was brought up in Scotland and that's the term I know. Perhaps because that's how my parents' house was finished.

Reply to
charles

The houses I've seen have a big pipe going into a big hole about 2-3 feet from the ground, connected to a blower with powder in it. Then 30 small holes further up stuffed with brushes.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

That must be why, when they did mine, they drilled each small hole separately, applied a high pressure hose to it that squirted the insulation in, and then filled up each hole before proceeding to the next one.

They did drill a 6" hole or so in my wall. But that was *only* because they were obliged to ensure that any room with an open fireplace had an external source of air. And they did that right at the end of the day, and it went right through the wall, and then they buggered off.

I suppose they could have applied the tumble drier hose to it. That would have insulated the *f*ck* out of the room - by filling it with insulation.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I guess there must be several ways of doing it.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I've never met anyone in Scotland who calls it that. My parents do and they're English.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

my Chambers Dictionary says is a Scots word.

Reply to
charles

My parents may have picked it up when they moved here a year before I was born, but my Dad usually sticks to the proper English, and I've never heard him call it anything else. And I've yet to find a single Scot around here who knows what I mean by harling. It's either "pebbledash" or a word I've forgotten.

Reply to
Uncle Peter